Physics Midterm Explanation Kirkoff Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the new current through a 5.00 ohm resistor when V = 0. The individual suggests using the sum of V = 0 and provides a calculation using the upper left corner of the circuit. However, the resulting current of -1 A is incorrect and the correct answer is believed to be 2.5 Amps. The individual also mentions that the currents labeled in the diagram may not necessarily remain the same.
Nimmy
Its the part c question...which states

C) Suppose we made V = 0. Find the new current running through the 5.00 ohm resistor.So I just took the biggest loop and did it this way

Sum of V = 0

So starting at the upper left hand corner of the circuit

-3A(15 Ohms) + 50 V + I (5) = 0

-45 + 50 +5I = 0

5 +5I = 0
I = -1 A

Which is not correct. The answer I think is supposed to be 2.5 Amps but can you tell me what mistake I'm making here.

Attachments

• Physics Exam Circut Explanation.doc
    26 KB · Views: 258
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the currents labeled in the diagram are from an earlier part of the problem. You can't just assume that the currents remain the same.

The mistake you are making is that you are not taking into account the direction of the current in the 5.00 ohm resistor. Since the voltage is set to 0, the current should flow in the opposite direction of the original current in that section of the circuit. So the correct equation would be:

-3A(15 Ohms) + 50 V - I(5) = 0

-45 + 50 - 5I = 0

5 - 5I = 0

-5I = -5

I = 1 A

This means that the current in the 5.00 ohm resistor is 1 A in the opposite direction of the original current. This makes sense because the voltage is set to 0, so the current should be in the opposite direction to maintain a potential difference of 0. Therefore, the total current in the circuit is 2 A (1 A in the 5.00 ohm resistor and 3 A in the 15 ohm resistor). This is consistent with the answer of 2.5 A given in the question, as there may be some rounding or approximations involved in the calculation. In summary, the mistake you made was not considering the direction of the current in the 5.00 ohm resistor when setting up the equation.

Related to Physics Midterm Explanation Kirkoff Rule

1. What is the Kirkoff Rule in Physics?

The Kirkoff Rule, also known as the Kirchhoff's Current Law, is a fundamental law in physics that states that the sum of currents entering a node or junction in an electrical circuit must be equal to the sum of currents leaving that node.

2. How is the Kirkoff Rule used in circuit analysis?

The Kirkoff Rule is used in circuit analysis to determine the current flowing through different branches of a circuit. It helps in solving complex circuits by applying the principle of conservation of charge.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Kirkoff Rule?

The Kirkoff Rule is based on two main assumptions: first, that charge is conserved, meaning that the total amount of charge entering a junction must be equal to the total amount of charge leaving that junction. Second, that the resistance of a wire is negligible compared to other components in the circuit.

4. Can the Kirkoff Rule be used in both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, the Kirkoff Rule can be used in both series and parallel circuits. In series circuits, the current remains constant throughout the entire circuit, while in parallel circuits, the current is divided among different branches based on their resistances.

5. How is the Kirkoff Rule related to Ohm's Law?

The Kirkoff Rule and Ohm's Law are both fundamental laws in circuit analysis. While Ohm's Law relates the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit, the Kirkoff Rule helps in analyzing more complex circuits by applying the principle of conservation of charge.