Finding Unknown Currents in a Two-battery Complex Circuit

In summary: Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which is just SUM OF VOLTAGES IN A CLOSED LOOP EQUALS ZERO. I think that it would be easier to use KVL, and use the currents as loop currents and just write the equations for the sum of the voltages around each loop and you'll have 3 equations in 3 unknowns, very easy to solve.
gerfken

Homework Statement

Look at the circuit given in figure 1. Solve for the three currents, I1,I2,I3.
upload_2014-10-10_0-30-33.png

Homework Equations

KVL: Sum of voltages in a closed loop equals zero
KCL: Sum of currents entering a junction equals the sum of currents exiting a junction
Ohm's Law: V=IR
NOTE: Nodal analysis is not allowed for this solution

The Attempt at a Solution

Through KCL, calling I5 the current leaving the junction on the left-hand side of the circuit and I4 the current leaving the junction on the right-hand side of the circuit: I2=I5+I3
I4=I3+I1
Then... the KVL equations for each loop:
5I5-10I3-8I4=0
5I5-12+I2=0
8I4-9+I1=0
-I2+12-10I3-9+I1=0
-I2+12-5I5+8I4-9+I1=0
-10I3-9+I1+5I5=0
-10I3-8I4-I2+12=0
Okay...so I can't come up with a methodical way of plugging these equations into one another and solving for any unknowns. It just seems...honestly impossible.
We haven't learned any clever tricks involving ignoring one battery (I've seen that in solutions elsewhere), and when the professor mentioned this question he presented it as pretty straightforward...is there something major that I'm missing?
I feel like I have a firm grasp of the mathematics and physics involved but I still can't produce any sort of solution. When I have I've found a mistake somewhere in my math.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think KCL is the hard way to do this one. I'd use KVL. Use the currents as loop currents and just write the equations for the sum of the voltages around each loop and you'll have 3 equations in 3 unknowns, very easy to solve.

gerfken said:

Homework Statement

Look at the circuit given in figure 1. Solve for the three currents, I1,I2,I3.
circuit3c.jpg

Homework Equations

KVL: Sum of voltages in a closed loop equals zero
KCL: Sum of currents entering a junction equals the sum of currents exiting a junction
Ohm's Law: V=IR
NOTE: Nodal analysis is not allowed for this solution

The Attempt at a Solution

Through KCL, calling I5 the current leaving the junction on the left-hand side of the circuit and I4 the current leaving the junction on the right-hand side of the circuit: I2=I5+I3
I4=I3+I1
It is correct so far.

There are only 3 independent loops. Write the KVL equation for them, going round along the arrows and following the change of the potential. Note that the potential drops across the resistor if the current flows in the direction of the arrow, and rises if the current flows in the opposite direction.

gerfken said:
Then... the KVL equations for each loop:

Well, try again.
If you have the three equation, replace I4 and I5 in terms of I1,I2,I3. You will get three equations with three unknown. It is not so bad!

ehild

Related to Finding Unknown Currents in a Two-battery Complex Circuit

1. How do you determine the direction and magnitude of unknown currents in a two-battery complex circuit?

The direction and magnitude of unknown currents can be determined by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node must equal zero, while KVL states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage sources. By setting up equations using these laws, we can solve for the unknown currents.

2. What are some common techniques for solving complex circuits to find unknown currents?

Some common techniques for solving complex circuits include using circuit simplification methods such as series and parallel resistors, delta-wye transformations, and Thevenin's and Norton's Theorems. These techniques can help reduce the circuit to a simpler form, making it easier to solve for the unknown currents.

3. How do you account for non-ideal components in a complex circuit when finding unknown currents?

Non-ideal components, such as resistors with non-negligible internal resistance or batteries with non-ideal voltage sources, can affect the overall behavior of a circuit. To account for these components, we can use more advanced circuit analysis methods, such as mesh analysis or nodal analysis, which take into consideration the internal resistance and voltage drops of these components.

4. Can computer simulations be used to find unknown currents in complex circuits?

Yes, computer simulations can be a useful tool for finding unknown currents in complex circuits. There are various software programs available that allow users to input the circuit components and parameters and simulate the behavior of the circuit. This can be a faster and more accurate method compared to hand calculations, especially for larger and more complex circuits.

5. How can the accuracy of calculated unknown currents in a complex circuit be verified?

The accuracy of calculated unknown currents can be verified by comparing the results to measurements taken using a multimeter. By using the same inputs and conditions, the measured currents should match closely to the calculated values. If there are discrepancies, it may indicate errors in the circuit analysis or non-idealities in the components.