Physics Masters Application - coming from a different field

In summary, the individual has a biology major and physics minor, and has recently completed a M.Ed. They are now looking to apply to physics masters/bridge programs and are seeking advice on the application process, specifically on the resume/cv and personal statement. They are also interested in hearing about others' experiences with switching fields. The individual may have an advantage in leveraging their biology background for programs with a focus on bio-physics. They are advised to consider working at a school with a research program in bio-physics that utilizes beamlines at a synchrotron light source, as this can provide valuable skills and make them more employable. Including this interest in their application can also demonstrate their research on specific programs at a school.
Jen Beckley
I graduated a few years ago with a Biology Major and Physics Minor. After completing a M.Ed. I have decided to apply to physics masters/bridge programs and have been discussing it with old advisers who were very encouraging. I was hoping someone else had switched fields and could give me some advise on the application process, especially the resume/cv and/or personal statement piece of the application. I would love to hear someone else's experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jen Beckley said:
I graduated a few years ago with a Biology Major and Physics Minor. After completing a M.Ed. I have decided to apply to physics masters/bridge programs and have been discussing it with old advisers who were very encouraging. I was hoping someone else had switched fields and could give me some advise on the application process, especially the resume/cv and/or personal statement piece of the application. I would love to hear someone else's experience.

You are not really that far off-field with a physics minor.

You did not indicate what your ultimate goals are, so it is difficult to advice you on the right motivation to describe in your application. Presumably, you want to leverage your biology background, which may be an advantage. Since a lot of research work right now is in bio-physics area, you can easily play up your interest in such cross-breeding field, especially if the schools you are applying to has such programs.

I will also say that if you have the opportunity to work in a school with research program in bio-physics that make extensive use of beamlines at a synchrotron light source, you should grab that with both hands. It isn't just the opportunity to work at such a facility, it is also the experimental skills that are involved in doing experimental work at such a facility. You'll learn quite a bit of stuff, and many of these are often valuable skills that will make you very "employable" after graduation. Including and indicating such interest in your application might not only be an advantage, but also shows that you've done background research on the research programs at a particular school.

Zz.

Likes Jen Beckley

Related to Physics Masters Application - coming from a different field

1. Can I apply for a Physics Masters if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to apply for a Physics Masters program with a different undergraduate degree. However, you may be required to complete prerequisite courses in physics before being admitted to the program.

2. Will my previous coursework in a different field be considered during the application process?

Yes, your previous coursework will be taken into consideration during the application process. Admissions committees will review your transcripts and evaluate the relevance of your previous coursework to the Physics Masters program.

3. What are the most important factors in a successful application for a Physics Masters program?

The most important factors in a successful application for a Physics Masters program include strong letters of recommendation, a strong statement of purpose, and a strong academic background in math and science courses.

4. Is research experience necessary for a successful application?

While research experience is not always necessary, it can greatly strengthen your application. It shows that you have practical experience in the field and have a clear understanding of the research process.

5. Can I pursue a Physics Masters if I do not have a strong background in math?

A strong background in math is essential for success in a Physics Masters program. However, if you do not have a strong background, you may be required to take additional math courses to catch up before starting the program.