Physics Major has become disenchanted with physics.

In summary, the European student is unhappy with the way physics is being taught and is considering switching majors.
Darth Frodo
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation at the moment. I am a European so unfortunately I don't have the same freedom in choosing my electives or major as the US. Right now I'm currently doing a B.Sc in Mathematics and Physics.

So far I have had 5 math modules (currently doing 3), 4 physics modules (2 in progress ) and 1 computer science module.

I hate to say this but I really enjoyed the Math modules as opposed to the Physics ones. One physics module was interesting enough, it was about Materials Science and an intro to Kinetic Theory. There were a lot of derivations which was cool, also the class was enjoyable! I mean, the Professor was very interactive etc.

The maths have been great, really enjoying calculus, Linear Algebra etc. (Not so much Statistics) I just enjoy the problem sets etc. And I think I actually preferred the Comp Sci to some of the physics. There was a lot of problem solving and thinking to be done, although I did not like the theory, only the practical applications.

My main concern is the following,
I had 2 physics modules taught by the same Lecturer and they are both torturous! I think the main issue is the following,

There was too much material covered in no detail at all and it wasn't much beyond what I had covered in HS. (Mechanics/Heat/Electricity/Magnetism all in 1 semester)
My current module with this Lecturer is the same. It is just that there's too much material to be covered in any detail

The classes themselves were very boring. All that happens is that the Lecturer stands at the top of the room, with slides and reads directly from them. (i.e how not to teach).

The material is interesting when I do it myself and read the book myself but I'm not sure if I should continue being a physics Major. Next semester sounds a lot more interesting, vector calc based E&M, Lagrange Mechanics, Intro QM. I can guarantee that I won't have the same Lecturer again.

I'm just very unsure what path I should go down? Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is to stick it our for one more semester. Things get much more interesting after the introductory sequence ends, especially if you have already studied the introductory material.

If you feel the same way after studying intro QM, relativity, and Lagrange Mechanics then maybe consider switching to something you find more interesting.

I agree with G01, it only gets more interesting after an introductory sequence in my experience. I didn't have the misfortune of having bad 1st year profs because I self-studied my first year entirely, but I know having an uninspiring prof can really suck the pleasure out of any subject.

Please note that there is a HUGE difference between "disenchanted with physics" and "disenchanted with the way physics is taught". You need to learn the difference.

Zz.

I can understand feeling disenchanted with a subject that you were once passionate about. It's important to remember that one bad experience or one bad professor does not define the entire field of physics. It sounds like you have a natural aptitude for math and problem-solving, which are essential skills in physics. I would encourage you to continue exploring the subject and perhaps take some more advanced courses in the future to see if your interest is rekindled. Additionally, you may want to consider talking to other students or professors in the physics department to get a better sense of the teaching styles and course material in other classes. It's possible that the issue lies with this particular lecturer and not with the subject itself. Ultimately, the decision to continue as a physics major is up to you, but I would encourage you to not let one negative experience deter you from pursuing a field that you once found interesting.

Related to Physics Major has become disenchanted with physics.

What are the reasons for a physics major becoming disenchanted with physics?

There can be various reasons for a physics major becoming disenchanted with physics. Some common reasons include the difficulty of the subject, feeling overwhelmed by the workload, lack of interest in certain topics, and not seeing the practical applications of physics in their chosen career path.

What can a physics major do if they become disenchanted with physics?

If a physics major becomes disenchanted with physics, they can consider talking to their academic advisor or a physics professor for guidance. They can also explore other fields of study or take a break from their studies to reassess their interests and career goals.

Is it common for physics majors to become disenchanted with physics?

It is not uncommon for physics majors to become disenchanted with physics. The subject can be challenging and may not be a good fit for everyone. It is important for students to explore their interests and passions before committing to a major.

Can a physics major switch to a different major if they become disenchanted with physics?

Yes, a physics major can switch to a different major if they become disenchanted with physics. It is important to talk to their academic advisor and the department of the new major to understand the requirements and potential impact on graduation timeline.

Are there any resources available to help a physics major who has become disenchanted with physics?

Yes, there are resources available to help a physics major who has become disenchanted with physics. Many universities offer counseling services for students facing academic challenges. There are also online resources and support groups for students struggling with their major or career choices.