Physics in Everyday Life: Simulating Collisions & Forces

In summary: This is a really good question. It seems that there is no easy answer. The problem, as I see it, is that you need to have a very good understanding of chaos in order to make accurate predictions.Hello Zz,I am amazed after visiting this link. I found many books but this information is quite unique and also helps me to solve my doubts.One way of simulating the motion is to start with an initial state and calculate the state a small time step in the future. Then repeat with the new state. Depending on how you do the time integration, you normally accumulate small errors which scale with some power of the size of the time step. In addition, you have a limited machine precision which
Jam Smith
Hello everyone,
Last night I was reading about gravity and I come across one debate. I tried to search about it but got confused. I hope some one can help me.

The question is:

Why is it so hard to realistically simulate the collisions of particles, gravity all the forces that go on around us daily in a computer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jam Smith said:
Why is it so hard to realistically simulate the collisions of particles, gravity all the forces that go on around us daily in a computer?
Your question is completely unclear. EXACTLY what is it you want to see simulated? A single particle-pair interaction is one thing. Simulation of everything involved in, say, a single human being is quite another.

Jam Smith said:
Hello everyone,
Last night I was reading about gravity and I come across one debate. I tried to search about it but got confused. I hope some one can help me.

The question is:

Start with the 3-body problem and figure out why getting an analytic solution for the most general situation (i.e. without any kind of simplification or restriction) is impossible.

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/way-solve-three-body-problem/

Now imagine how this gets progressively more difficult with 4, 5, 6... Avogadro's number of particles.

Zz.

One way of simulating the motion is to start with an initial state and calculate the state a small time step in the future. Then repeat with the new state. Depending on how you do the time integration, you normally accumulate small errors which scale with some power of the size of the time step. In addition, you have a limited machine precision which introduces errors. These errors will cascade into your future states. The more chaotic your system is, the more sensitive you are to these errors.

Likes Jam Smith
ZapperZ said:
Start with the 3-body problem and figure out why getting an analytic solution for the most general situation (i.e. without any kind of simplification or restriction) is impossible.

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/way-solve-three-body-problem/

Now imagine how this gets progressively more difficult with 4, 5, 6... Avogadro's number of particles.

Zz.

Hello Zz,
I am amazed after visiting this link. I found many books but this information is quite unique and also helps me to solve my doubts.

Khashishi said:
One way of simulating the motion is to start with an initial state and calculate the state a small time step in the future. Then repeat with the new state. Depending on how you do the time integration, you normally accumulate small errors which scale with some power of the size of the time step. In addition, you have a limited machine precision which introduces errors. These errors will cascade into your future states. The more chaotic your system is, the more sensitive you are to these errors.

How can we predict, these areas of chaotic starting conditions without an error approach?

Related to Physics in Everyday Life: Simulating Collisions & Forces

1. How does physics play a role in everyday life?

Physics is involved in almost every aspect of our daily lives, from the way we walk and talk to the functioning of electronic devices and the laws of gravity that keep us grounded. Whether we are cooking, driving, or playing sports, we are constantly interacting with and experiencing the principles of physics.

2. What are collisions and forces in physics?

Collisions refer to the interactions between objects where they come into contact and exert forces on each other. Forces, on the other hand, are any push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. These concepts are fundamental in understanding the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world.

3. How are collisions and forces simulated in everyday life?

Collisions and forces are simulated in everyday life through various means, such as in car crashes, sports, and even in simple activities like throwing a ball. In car crashes, the forces involved can be simulated using crash test dummies, while in sports, the impact of forces can be seen in the trajectory of a ball or the movement of athletes.

4. What are some real-life applications of simulating collisions and forces?

Simulating collisions and forces has many practical applications, including predicting the outcome of car crashes, designing safer vehicles, and creating more efficient sports equipment. It is also used in industries such as engineering, architecture, and aviation to ensure the safety and stability of structures and machines.

5. How does understanding collisions and forces benefit us in everyday life?

Understanding collisions and forces can benefit us in many ways, such as being able to make informed decisions in potentially dangerous situations, designing and building more efficient and durable structures, and improving our athletic performance. It also allows us to have a deeper understanding of the physical world and appreciate the laws that govern it.