Physics I question Skydiver falling

In summary, a skydiver with a mass of 79 kg and dimensions of 25 cm x 39 cm x 1.8 m can be modeled as a rectangular "box." To find their terminal speed while falling feet first, the formula used is \frac{1}{2}\rho ADv^2, where \rho is the density of air, A is the area of the object, and D is the coefficient of drag. The calculation process involves converting the skydiver's weight from kg to N, finding the value of D by multiplying the dimensions, and using the square root of the result when divided by the weight.
bpatel4116

Homework Statement

A 79 kg skydiver can be modeled as a rectangular "box" with dimensions 25 cm x 39 cm x 1.8 m.

What is his terminal speed if he falls feet first?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not sure what I am doing wrong, here is what i did.

D= 1/4 av2 = .25(.25 x .39)= .020

skydiver's weight i took from kg to N which ended up being 774.2

then i did 774.2/.020 and did square root, and i ended up with 196.7, apparently it is saying this is not the right answer, did i do this correctly!? help! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What formula are you using? isn't the formula for drag [tex]\frac{1}{4}\rho ADv^2[/tex] maybe [tex]\frac{1}{2}\rho ADv^2[/tex] (Its late and I feel lazy to find out which)

where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the density of air, A is the area of the object and D is the coefficient of drag

As a scientist, it's important to always double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formulas for the given situation. In this case, the formula for terminal speed is v = √(2mg/ρAC), where m is the mass of the skydiver, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of air, A is the cross-sectional area of the skydiver, and C is the drag coefficient.

Using the given dimensions of the skydiver, we can calculate the cross-sectional area to be 0.009 m². The density of air at sea level is approximately 1.2 kg/m³. Plugging in these values along with the given mass of 79 kg and the acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s², we get a terminal speed of approximately 55 m/s.

It's also important to note that this calculation assumes the skydiver is in a stable, belly-to-earth position. If the skydiver is in a different position, the drag coefficient and cross-sectional area will be different, resulting in a different terminal speed.

In conclusion, it's important to carefully consider all the variables and use the correct formulas when solving physics problems.

Related to Physics I question Skydiver falling

1. How does air resistance affect a skydiver falling?

The force of air resistance, or drag, acts in the opposite direction of the skydiver's motion. As the skydiver falls faster, the force of air resistance increases until it reaches a point where it is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant terminal velocity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a skydiver falling?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the skydiver. In the case of a skydiver falling, the force of gravity is equal to the weight of the skydiver (mass x gravity), so the formula becomes a = (mg)/m, which simplifies to a = g. This means that the acceleration of a skydiver falling is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s².

3. How does the height of a skydiver affect their speed?

The height of a skydiver has no effect on their speed. The only factors that affect the speed of a falling object are gravity and air resistance. The initial height of the skydiver only affects the time it takes for them to reach the ground, not their speed.

4. What factors can affect the terminal velocity of a skydiver?

The factors that can affect the terminal velocity of a skydiver include their body position, weight, and the density of the air. A streamlined body position reduces air resistance, resulting in a higher terminal velocity. A heavier skydiver will experience a greater force of gravity, resulting in a higher terminal velocity. The density of the air can also affect terminal velocity, as denser air creates more air resistance, slowing down the skydiver's fall.

5. How is the force of air resistance calculated for a skydiver falling?

The force of air resistance is calculated using the formula F = 0.5 x p x v² x A x Cd, where F is the force of air resistance, p is the density of the air, v is the velocity of the skydiver, A is the surface area of the skydiver, and Cd is the drag coefficient. The drag coefficient takes into account the shape and size of the skydiver, as well as their body position, and can vary depending on these factors.