Physics homework help, how to set up problem

In summary, a bullet with a mass of 0.0019 kg is embedded in a large fixed piece of wood, traveling at 487 m/s before coming to rest after traveling 0.55 m. Assuming constant deceleration, the force exerted by the wood on the bullet can be found by using the equation Vf^2=Vo^2 + 2a(delta X). By solving for acceleration and using the equation F=ma, the force can be determined.
RubrickZero

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 0.0019 kg moving at 487 m/s embeds itself in a large fixed piece of wood and travels 0.55 m before coming to rest. Assume that the deceleration of the bullet is constant.

What force is exerted by the wood on the bullet?

Homework Equations

I think...Vf^2=Vo^2 + 2a(delta X)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to set this problem up. I am guessing I am looking for the acceleration?
Much help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
RubrickZero said:

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 0.0019 kg moving at 487 m/s embeds itself in a large fixed piece of wood and travels 0.55 m before coming to rest. Assume that the deceleration of the bullet is constant.

What force is exerted by the wood on the bullet?

Homework Equations

I think...Vf^2=Vo^2 + 2a(delta X)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to set this problem up. I am guessing I am looking for the acceleration?
Much help appreciated.

Welcome to PF.

Yes, you can find the acceleration from that.

If you have the deceleration and you have the mass ... hmmm. Any ideas about what the force is?

not really...Am I suppose to find the deceleration of the bullet first and after getting that. I should be able to find N?

You can find 'a' from your equation, right? F=ma, also right? Can't you find force?

Related to Physics homework help, how to set up problem

1. What is the best approach to setting up a physics problem?

The best approach to setting up a physics problem is to first carefully read and understand the given problem. Then, identify the known variables, unknown variables, and any given equations or formulas that can be used to solve the problem. Finally, set up the problem by plugging in the known values and solving for the unknown variable.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific physics problem?

The formula to use for a specific physics problem depends on the given variables and what the problem is asking you to solve for. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which formula is most applicable. Additionally, it is helpful to have a strong understanding of basic physics principles and their corresponding equations.

3. Can I use multiple equations to solve one physics problem?

Yes, it is common to use multiple equations to solve one physics problem. This is especially true for more complex problems that require multiple steps to solve. It is important to ensure that the equations are used correctly and that all units are consistent throughout the problem.

4. How do I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

The best way to check if your answer is correct is to double-check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. You can also try plugging your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the given conditions. Additionally, it can be helpful to compare your answer to similar problems or ask a classmate or teacher for confirmation.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for setting up physics problems more efficiently?

One helpful tip for setting up physics problems more efficiently is to draw a diagram or visual representation of the problem. This can help you better understand the given conditions and visualize the problem, making it easier to set up the necessary equations. It can also be helpful to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common equations and problem-solving techniques.