Physics help-Sources of errors and limitations

In summary, this student is trying to design experiments for two labs but is having difficulty coming up with possible sources of error.
Shordaay
Physics help---Sources of errors and limitations

Two sources of errors and limitations for Eiffel tower lab to prove that it expands in the summer when it is heated and it contracts in the winter when it cools.
Here is the procedure for the experiment i designed:
1. Attach a fixed stick to the tip of the tower and attach the string to the end of the stick.
2. Attach the rubber band to the other end of the string that ends right at the surface of the ground.
3. Mark a point unto the rubber band about 1 meter from the ground.
4. Measure the Eiffel tower in the winter and record your results.
5. Return in the summer and measure it again. If there is a gap between the rubber band and the ground and the point marked has gone above or below a meter then it is proven that the Eiffel tower has expanded. Record your results.

Two sources of errors for center of gravity of an irregular shaped object lab:

Two sources of errors and limitations for fluid and pressure lab. this lab is to prove that fluid and pressure varies with the size of the opening(hole)

Any help anyone? Please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Regarding the first part... Your experiment relies on a crucial difference between steel and string but you don't mention it. Why use string and not (for example) a steel wire? Isn't the point of the question to spell out it's limitations and possible sources of error? I can think of several sources of error if you really did use string!

Your attempt at part two for the fluids lab is missing :-)

What do you mean the part two to the fluid lab is missing? it isnt? and i did use string as i explained in my procedure. yes the point of the question is to find sources of errors and limitations for the labs mentioned. i didnt use steel wire because the teacher didnt recommend that

i didnt use steel wire because the teacher didnt recommend that

Do you understand why a steel rope wasn't recommended? Have a think about it. When you understand why a steel rope wouldn't be a great choice you might see why the choice of material is important and how it can introduce a source of error. Hint: Why would this be a good material to use... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invar

As for the other labs..

Two sources of errors for center of gravity of an irregular shaped object lab:

Two sources of errors and limitations for fluid and pressure lab. this lab is to prove that fluid and pressure varies with the size of the opening(hole)

Have you already had a go at designing experiments for these two?

yes i have had a go at designin the lab the only problem i have is thinkin of the sources of errors and limitations and they are due monday and i just can't think of possible sources of errors. No i don't understand why it wasnt recommended. i guess i have to research on that.

Related to Physics help-Sources of errors and limitations

1. What are some common sources of errors in physics experiments?

Some common sources of errors in physics experiments include human error, equipment malfunction, environmental factors (such as temperature or humidity), and limitations of measuring instruments.

2. How can we minimize errors in physics experiments?

To minimize errors in physics experiments, it is important to carefully plan and set up the experiment, use reliable and calibrated equipment, take multiple measurements, and analyze data critically to identify and correct any errors.

3. What are limitations of using theoretical models in physics?

Theoretical models in physics are simplified representations of real-world phenomena, and therefore, they may not accurately reflect the complexity of the natural world. Additionally, theoretical models are based on assumptions, which may not always hold true in all situations.

4. How do experimental errors affect the validity of a physics experiment?

Experimental errors can affect the validity of a physics experiment by introducing inaccuracies and uncertainties in the data. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and limit the generalizability of the results.

5. What are the implications of not accounting for errors in physics experiments?

If errors are not taken into account in physics experiments, the results may be misleading or unreliable. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the advancement of scientific knowledge and understanding.