Does Fluid Pressure Change with the Size of the Opening?

• Thread starter Shordaay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the lab is about determining whether fluid pressure varies with the size of the opening. The aim is to measure the maximum distance water reaches when a hole is unblocked in different containers with varying hole sizes. One expected result is that the diameter is inversely proportional to the flow rate. Some limitations include the effect of altitude on the distance traveled by the water, and precautions such as performing the lab outside and considering the impact of wind. The variables include the amount of water used as the manipulated variable, the flow rate and amount of water released as the responding variables, and the size of the holes and nature of the fluid as the constant variables.
Shordaay
title of lab is fluid and pressure
hypothesis: fluid pressure varies with size of opening
aim: to determine whether fluid pressure varies with size of opening

i need help with the expected results, discussion, variables: (manipulated, responding and constant), sources of error, limitations and precautions

would anyone please help me in these areas please??

to have an idea of what the lab looks like.. its a set up of 4 different regular shaped plastic containers with holes of radii 1mm, 5mm, 10mm and 20mm in each container such that the center of the hole is 5cm from the ground. I am suppose to block the hole and fill the container completely then unblock the hole and measure the maximum distance the water reached.

one expected result i have so far is that the diameter is inversely proportional to the flow rate; the smaller the hole the further the water will go.

for my limitations i have: altitude affects the distance traveled by the water.
the for precautions i have: it should be performed outside and wind might affect the distance traveled by the gush of water and leave the container empty.
for my variables i have: manipulated- the amount of water used, responding- the flow rate and the amount of water released and for constant- the size of the holes, nature of the fluid

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shordaay said:
title of lab is fluid and pressure
hypothesis: fluid pressure varies with size of opening
aim: to determine whether fluid pressure varies with size of opening

i need help with the expected results, discussion, variables: (manipulated, responding and constant), sources of error, limitations and precautions

would anyone please help me in these areas please??

to have an idea of what the lab looks like.. its a set up of 4 different regular shaped plastic containers with holes of radii 1mm, 5mm, 10mm and 20mm in each container such that the center of the hole is 5cm from the ground. I am suppose to block the hole and fill the container completely then unblock the hole and measure the maximum distance the water reached.

one expected result i have so far is that the diameter is inversely proportional to the flow rate; the smaller the hole the further the water will go.

for my limitations i have: altitude affects the distance traveled by the water.
the for precautions i have: it should be performed outside and wind might affect the distance traveled by the gush of water and leave the container empty.
for my variables i have: manipulated- the amount of water used, responding- the flow rate and the amount of water released and for constant- the size of the holes, nature of the fluid

I hesitate to help because I am not sure what you are doing. Seems you got a lot of things going on here.

But pleading gets to me...

First off your to statements in red and bolded seem to contradict each other. I think I might know what you are trying to do but it does not read this way. So what does the 2nd red phrase mean?

well actually i was trying to explain what i had to do.. like shorten the procedure a bit so you would have an idea

So the second red statement is the distance the water level drops in the container, or the distance to the ground?

the distance to the ground

Related to Does Fluid Pressure Change with the Size of the Opening?

1. What is the difference between P and D in physics?

The variables P and D in physics represent different quantities. P typically stands for power, which is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. D usually stands for distance, which is the length traveled by an object.

2. How do I solve a physics problem involving P and D?

To solve a physics problem involving P and D, you must first identify which variable you are solving for. Then, use the relevant equations and plug in the given values for the other variables. Be sure to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given scenario.

3. What are some common units for P and D in physics?

The unit for power (P) is typically watts (W), while the unit for distance (D) can vary depending on the specific quantity being measured. Some common units for distance include meters (m), kilometers (km), and centimeters (cm).

4. Can you provide an example of a physics problem involving P and D?

Sure, here is an example: A car travels at a constant speed of 60 km/h for 2 hours. What is the total distance traveled by the car? In this problem, P (power) is not given, so we are solving for D (distance). Using the formula D = P x t, where t is time, we can plug in the given values to get D = (60 km/h) x (2 hours) = 120 km.

5. How are P and D related to other physics concepts?

Power (P) and distance (D) are related to other physics concepts such as work, energy, and velocity. Work is the product of force and distance, while power is the rate at which work is done. Energy is also closely related to power, as it is the ability to do work. Velocity, on the other hand, is the rate at which an object changes its position, so it is related to distance in physics problems.