Physics Handbooks for Undergrads and Graduate Students

In summary, for a comprehensive coverage of undergraduate and graduate theoretical physics, two recommended handbooks are "Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers" by Korn & Korn and "Handbook of Mathematics" by Vialar. For advanced graduate-level non-quantum physics, "Modern Classical Physics: Optics, Fluids, Plasmas, Elasticity, Relativity, and Statistical Physics" by Thorne and Blandford is also recommended. These handbooks do not require a strong background in mathematics.
FourEyedRaven
Hello.

I'm looking for recomendations on what would be the two best handbooks of physics to buy, one for undergrads and another for graduate physics students. The purpose is for the handbooks to cover undergraduate and graduate theoretical physics, with details on the core subjects.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have a BSc and an MSc in mathematics, which means I don't need much background math.

Physics news on Phys.org
FourEyedRaven said:
I have a BSc and an MSc in mathematics, which means I don't need much background math.
So you can probably name to handbooks which cover
FourEyedRaven said:
The purpose is for the handbooks to cover undergraduate and graduate ...
... mathematics.

Likes penta-d
I don't quite understand your comment.

Two such handbooks of mathematics would be, for undergraduates, Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers, by Korn & Korn. And for graduate studies would be Handbook of Mathematics, by Vialar.

I am asking what would be a similar recomendation for physics.

Likes FourEyedRaven

Related to Physics Handbooks for Undergrads and Graduate Students

1. What is the purpose of a physics handbook for undergrad and graduate students?

A physics handbook serves as a quick reference guide for students to review important concepts and equations in the field of physics. It can also provide helpful tips and strategies for problem-solving and studying for exams.

2. Are all physics handbooks the same?

No, not all physics handbooks are the same. Some may focus on specific topics within physics, while others may have a broader range of information. Additionally, the level of detail and complexity may vary between handbooks intended for undergraduates and those intended for graduate students.

3. Can I use a physics handbook during exams?

It depends on the rules set by your professor or institution. Some exams may allow the use of a handbook, while others may not. It is important to clarify with your professor beforehand to avoid any potential issues.

4. Are physics handbooks helpful for non-physics majors?

Yes, physics handbooks can be helpful for non-physics majors who are required to take introductory physics courses. They can provide a condensed summary of the material and help students understand the concepts and equations better.

5. What should I look for in a good physics handbook?

A good physics handbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts and equations, as well as relevant examples and practice problems. It should also be well-organized and easy to navigate. Some handbooks may also include additional resources such as study tips and diagrams to aid in understanding.