Physics Forums: Help & Learn with a Sense of Community

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: I think it's important to remember that curiosity is a good thing. It's what makes us want to learn more.
Andre
That's a great idea. The first paragraph is familiar but this is great:

Physics Forums is a beautiful example of people coming together to create something with the purpose to help, to learn, and to create a sense of community among people that share a love of science and not for monetary gain.
- Evo

I would suggest to move it up to the top or maybe right below the 'stay connected' box if needed. I'm sure that we can live with 'who's online' and such being pushed down a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an excellent sentiment but it's a description, not a mission statement.

phinds said:

Fair enough, I'll title it "Who we are".

phinds said:

True, maybe we could edit it slightly:

Physics Forums intends to be a platform for people coming together to create something with the purpose to help, to learn, and to create a sense of community and friendship among people that share a love of science and not for monetary gain
- Evo

Andre said:
True, maybe we could edit it slightly:

Physics Forums intends to be a platform for people coming together to create something with the purpose to help, to learn, and to create a sense of community among people that share a love of science and not for monetary gain
Evo

We'll have to ask Evo, it's her quote :D

I was always wanting to change it to something like

Physics Forums is a beautiful example of people coming together with the purpose to help, to learn, and to create a sense of community among people that share a love of science and not for monetary gain.
- Evo

Hey, it's got to sound like me.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Fair enough, I'll title it "Who we are".

EXCELLENT idea. Much better than a mission statement.

Evo said:
Physics Forums is a beautiful example of people coming together with the purpose to help, to learn, and to create a sense of community among people that share a love of science and not for monetary gain.

Excellent statement.

The only thing I would add is "DEATH TO CRACKPOTS". Well OK, maybe a little over the top :smile:

Likes curious_mind
Sorry to go all grammar police, but I think there's a problem involving sentence parallelism with the current wording. Perhaps it can be changed to something more along the lines of

Physics Forums intends to be a platform for people coming together with the purpose of helping, learning, and creating a sense of community among people that share a love of science, and is not for monetary gain.
- Evo
[STRIKE]And maybe also break it into two separate sentences to avoid a run on (not shown).[/STRIKE] [Edit: On second thought, nevermind about breaking it up into two sentences. It's fine as-is in that respect.]

On third thought, I might be misinterpreting the quote. Now I'm not so sure of the intended meaning of "not for monetary gain." Perhaps some more rewording is necessary.

Okay, I realize now that I totally butchered Evo's original intended meaning. Sorry about that Evo. :blushing:

At the risk of re-butchering the text, what do you think of this?

Physics Forums is a beautiful example of people coming together to create something with the purpose of helping, learning and creating a sense of community among people that share a love of science for the sake of science, not for monetary gain.
- Evo

[Edit: On fourth thought, nevermind. It's fine the way it is. I'll just shut up now.]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Okay, I realize now that I totally butchered Evo's original intended meaning. Sorry about that Evo. :blushing:

At the risk of re-butchering the text, what do you think of this?
[Edit: On fourth thought, nevermind. I'll just shut up now. It's fine the way it is.]
It was just an off the cuff comment I made in a thread reflecting how I felt about the forum. After I saw it years later it reminded me of how poor my grammar is. It was spontaneous and heartfelt. I didn't spend time creating it.

collinsmark said:
[Edit: On fourth thought, nevermind. It's fine the way it is. I'll just shut up now.]

Only four thoughts isn't good enough :devil:

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/10000/2000/400/12453/12453.strip.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mission statement:

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, ...

George Jones said:
Mission statement:

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, ...

I like this statement. Gets the feeling across. We all are curious but how far are we willing to go to satisfy this curiosity or can it ever be satisfied?

Related to Physics Forums: Help & Learn with a Sense of Community

1. What is Physics Forums?

Physics Forums is an online community and resource for those interested in physics and its related fields. It provides a platform for individuals to ask and answer questions, share knowledge and resources, and engage in discussions about various topics in physics.

2. How can I get help on Physics Forums?

To get help on Physics Forums, you can either post a question in the appropriate forum or search for existing threads that may already have the answer to your question. You can also interact with other members by leaving comments on their posts or sending them private messages.

3. Is Physics Forums only for experts and professionals?

No, Physics Forums welcomes individuals of all levels of expertise, from beginners to professionals. Whether you are just starting to learn about physics or have been studying it for years, you can benefit from the resources and discussions on the forum.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for using Physics Forums?

Yes, Physics Forums has a set of rules and guidelines that all members are expected to follow. These rules are in place to maintain a respectful and productive community. It is important to read and understand these rules before participating on the forum.

5. Can I contribute to Physics Forums by sharing my own knowledge and resources?

Yes, Physics Forums encourages members to contribute their own knowledge and resources to the community. You can do this by answering questions, sharing relevant articles or research, or starting discussions on interesting topics. Your contributions can help others learn and grow in their understanding of physics.