Physics Extended Essay Suggestions

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who needs to write an extended essay for their IB program in physics. They are seeking suggestions for a viable question that can be researched with local equipment and pertains to the course outline. They are also expected to perform an experiment on their topic and have a background in AP Calculus BC/IB Math HL. They will credit the forums in their final bibliography.
Revolution
I am a high school student who is extremely passionate about physics. As part of the IB program, I need to pick a question and write an extended essay by next September using about 40 hours to write approximately 4,000 words. I chose physics for my subject area, and would appreciate some suggestions for a viable question that I could research and write about given these restraints. The question should be something that I can research with local equipment and needs to pertain to something in the course outline. The course outline is at this link: http://www.haef.gr/gr/pcl/ib/physics.pdf , starting on page 43.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going to give us credit for any help that you receive here?

When you say, "research with local equipment", are you supposed to perform an experiment? Also, what's your mathematical background?

@jtbell - I don't have any experience with citing forums, but I'll make sure to credit these forums in the final bibliography.

@bossman27 - Yes, for the scientific subject areas (chemistry, biology, physics) each student is supposed to perform an experiment on their topic. Local equipment just means whatever I can access directly - preferably household or high school level equipment. I am currently taking AP Calculus BC/IB Math HL.

I think what jtbell was getting at is that, according to what you posted, you need to pick the question.

Related to Physics Extended Essay Suggestions

1. What is the purpose of a Physics Extended Essay?

The purpose of a Physics Extended Essay is to allow students to explore a topic in depth and apply critical thinking skills to research and experimentation. It also provides an opportunity for students to demonstrate their understanding of key concepts and principles in physics.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Physics Extended Essay?

When choosing a topic for your Physics Extended Essay, it is important to select something that you are genuinely interested in and have a good understanding of. You should also consider the availability of resources and the feasibility of conducting experiments related to your topic.

3. Can I conduct experiments for my Physics Extended Essay?

Yes, conducting experiments is an integral part of a Physics Extended Essay. However, the experiments must be safe, ethical, and feasible. It is important to plan and carry out your experiments carefully and accurately, and to clearly document your methodology and results.

4. How should I structure my Physics Extended Essay?

A Physics Extended Essay should follow a similar structure to a standard research paper, with an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is important to clearly state your research question and provide relevant background information on your topic.

5. How can I ensure a high-quality Physics Extended Essay?

To ensure a high-quality Physics Extended Essay, you should plan and manage your time effectively, conduct thorough research, use proper scientific language and notation, and critically analyze your findings. It is also important to seek feedback from your supervisor and make revisions as needed.