Physics - Electrical Potential help

In summary, the final speed of a proton released from rest and accelerated through a potential difference V is proportional to V^(1/2). This is found by equating the kinetic energy of the proton with the potential energy gained or lost as it traverses the potential difference, which is represented by the shorthand unit of volts.
aaronmilk3
A proton is released from rest and accelerates through a potential difference V. The final speed of the proton is proportional to the potential difference in which of the following ways?

A. V
B. V^1/2
C. V^-1/2
D. V^-1

I think it is V^(1/2) (just√V) but I am no sure exactly how to find this. Any help would be great. I was thinking that I had to take kinetic energy + potential energy = 0 then kinetic energy= -potential energy. But if this is right what would I do? (1/2)mv²=what? No idea and any help is great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Volt unit is shorthand for Joules per Coulomb. So a charge q traversing a potential difference V gains (or loses) q*V joules of energy. Equate with kinetic energy and you're there.

Related to Physics - Electrical Potential help

1. What is electrical potential?

Electrical potential is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage.

2. How is electrical potential measured?

Electrical potential is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. It can also be measured indirectly using an ammeter and Ohm's law.

3. What is the difference between electrical potential and electric potential energy?

Electrical potential refers to the potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the total potential energy of a system of charges due to their positions in an electric field.

4. How does distance affect electrical potential?

According to Coulomb's law, the electrical potential between two charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electrical potential decreases.

5. What is the relationship between electrical potential and electric field?

The electric field is directly related to the gradient of the electrical potential. This means that the direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines (lines of equal electrical potential) and points towards lower potential values.