Physics degrees and occupations

In summary: It is not common to find research jobs in astrophysics. A lot of research is conducted at national labs, and those jobs are usually for people with a physics PhD.
elixirnova
Yea it's almost deadline time to pick a college for me... Picking a college that has a good program seams important. And I'm not too sure what major would be best to pursue. I have thought about various Engineering degrees but mostly Engineering Physics or just Physics, but I'm not too sure what the job outlook or even average salaries are for some corresponding occupations. I also enjoy astronomy although I'm not too sure how I could mix astronomy with physics and put them both together to form a job oppertunity or degree :rolleyes: .

Anyhow could anybody give me any information or a place I could find that sort of information. Or any ideas on other degrees that I may be missing I could like?

Physics news on Phys.org
google phyiscs job outlooks. i found a site ages ago that had some charts and stuff about salaries and jobs and physics degrees stuff.

also, astronomy and physics mix very well. most schools with a physics program have an astronomy option, where you can get your degree in phyics but have an emphasis on astronomy. Or, some schools offer an astronomy degree, but even for that, more than half your classes are physics.

this should be moved to the academic advising forum.

elixirnova said:
I also enjoy astronomy although I'm not too sure how I could mix astronomy with physics and put them both together to form a job oppertunity or degree .

That would be called astrophysics. It is a fairly common major, if the school doesn't have an astrophysics major then look for astronomy. From what I hear, major wise, their the same thing.

I had a number of classmates in my mech eng technology course that had graduated physics at university and just couldn't find related work. (in Canada). Now a friend of mine that works with me also had taken physics in university. He became a computer IT guy, and now works with me in an unrelated field.

Thats not to say I have any clue as to what jobs are available out there in physics. It just seems to be one of those things that would be great for a prospective teacher and that's about it.

If by job outlook you mean post bachelor's, as opposed to getting a graduate degree, there are a number of options. I work as a health physicist. I could have decided on: patent law (or just law in general), aerospace, government (NRC, DOE, NIST, etc.), any number of national labs (Sandia, Los Alamos, etc.), any kind of analyst position that doesn't require specialized knowledge of a specific field (other than math or physics). There are numerous options.

G01 said:
That would be called astrophysics. It is a fairly common major, if the school doesn't have an astrophysics major then look for astronomy. From what I hear, major wise, their the same thing.
So since you say that. Are there any readily available jobs that would be applicable with having this kind of degree?

And as for Engineering Physics I'm not hearing much about it period? Including what the job oppertunities are and such. Supposedly it is more applicable since there is more engineering background..

And Homer you say your involved in mech engineering. What kind of work are you interested in with that sort of degree?

elixirnova said:
So since you say that. Are there any readily available jobs that would be applicable with having this kind of degree?
And as for Engineering Physics I'm not hearing much about it period? Including what the job oppertunities are and such. Supposedly it is more applicable since there is more engineering background..
And Homer you say your involved in mech engineering. What kind of work are you interested in with that sort of degree?

A separate degree program in astrophysics is not that common. Not that rare either though. More common is a BS in Physics, followed by a Physics PhD, with the research area being astrophysics.

Astrophysics is a research field. There is little industry application for most astrophysics work (not that an astrophysicist wouldn't have applicable skills, but they would be from more general physics knowledge).

You could do physics with an electronics concentration or electro-optics (two of the options we have here) if you would rather get a BS and then a job. If you want to go the Masters or PhD route, then i would advise getting a BS Physics, and then specializing for the higher degree.

It's definitely sounding like a good idea to get my phd in somthin other than physics first.

Heh I suppose now its just finding out which one I really like most. I'm kinda getting the feeling ima be changing my mind lots before I know...

Is it rare to find research jobs because that reallly sounds the most appealing but also seams like it'd be quite an adventure finding places to hire for research

elixirnova said:
It's definitely sounding like a good idea to get my phd in somthin other than physics first.
Heh I suppose now its just finding out which one I really like most. I'm kinda getting the feeling ima be changing my mind lots before I know...
Is it rare to find research jobs because that reallly sounds the most appealing but also seams like it'd be quite an adventure finding places to hire for research

Research jobs are dictated by grant money. After postdoc work, you would typically move to a teaching position at a university, while doing research work as well.

I'm not sure what you mean about getting your PhD in something other than physics first...if you get a PhD in something else, you'll be working in that field, rather than in say astrophysics.

Related to Physics degrees and occupations

1. What can I do with a degree in Physics?

A degree in Physics can open up a variety of career paths, including research and development, engineering, teaching, and data analysis. Depending on your specific interests and skillset, you can work in fields such as renewable energy, aerospace, telecommunications, and healthcare.

2. How long does it take to earn a degree in Physics?

Typically, it takes four years to earn a Bachelor's degree in Physics. However, some universities offer accelerated programs or combined Bachelor's and Master's degrees that can be completed in five years. Pursuing a graduate degree in Physics can take an additional two to six years.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in Physics?

Some essential skills for a career in Physics include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming, data analysis, and communication are also highly valued in the field.

4. Is a degree in Physics only for those interested in academia?

No, a degree in Physics can lead to various career opportunities outside of academia. While many Physics graduates do pursue research or teaching positions, others find success in industries such as finance, consulting, and technology. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a Physics degree are highly transferable and valuable in many fields.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of Physics during my degree?

Yes, many universities offer specialized tracks or concentrations within their Physics programs. Some common areas of specialization include astrophysics, biophysics, materials science, and nuclear physics. It is essential to research the specific programs and opportunities available at each university to find one that aligns with your interests.