Physics Degree without A2 maths?

In summary, if you only study AS Core maths, you will still be considered for a place at university, but you won't be able to study physics without doing a foundation year.
jack.cottrell
Hi All

Background info first: I`m currently in Year 14, studying A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry. I am also studying a full A2 course (AS and A2 Simultaneously) in one year. I have an A2 in applied mathematics at Grade A, which includes Calculus, Hypothesis testing, Data Analysis and Algebraic manipulation. I am applying to study an Undergraduate Degree in Physics.

I am currently struggling to stay on top of the work flow from the 4 subjects, and am worried that by studying the full A2 maths, I may not achieve the grades in the other two subjects. If I were to study only AS Core mathematics, would I still be considered for a place at a university, seeing as the applied mathematics covers a large amount of the same material?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jack.cottrell said:
Hi All

Background info first: I`m currently in Year 14, studying A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry. I am also studying a full A2 course (AS and A2 Simultaneously) in one year. I have an A2 in applied mathematics at Grade A, which includes Calculus, Hypothesis testing, Data Analysis and Algebraic manipulation. I am applying to study an Undergraduate Degree in Physics.

I am currently struggling to stay on top of the work flow from the 4 subjects, and am worried that by studying the full A2 maths, I may not achieve the grades in the other two subjects. If I were to study only AS Core mathematics, would I still be considered for a place at a university, seeing as the applied mathematics covers a large amount of the same material?

I did not do A2 maths and in order to study physics at university I have to do a foundation year offered by my university.

It is highly unlikely that you will be accepted onto a university physics course without A-level maths or an equivalent.

Get in touch with some admissions tutors and inquire about how they view your applied mathematics qualification.

Thanks for the advice, I`ll call some of my choices tonight and see what they say :)

Related to Physics Degree without A2 maths?

1. Can I study physics without A2 maths?

Yes, it is possible to study physics without A2 maths. There are many universities that offer physics degrees with alternative entry requirements, such as a foundation year or an additional entrance exam. However, having a strong foundation in maths is highly recommended for success in a physics degree.

2. What are the alternatives to A2 maths for a physics degree?

Some universities may accept alternative qualifications for entry into a physics degree, such as an Access to Higher Education diploma or a BTEC Extended Diploma in a relevant subject. Additionally, some universities offer preparatory courses to help students improve their maths skills before starting a physics degree.

3. Will I struggle with the maths in a physics degree without A2 maths?

It is likely that you will encounter some difficulties with the maths in a physics degree if you do not have a strong foundation in A2 maths. However, with dedication and hard work, it is possible to improve your maths skills and succeed in a physics degree.

4. Can I still pursue a career in physics without A2 maths?

Yes, there are still many career opportunities in physics that do not require A2 maths. These may include research positions in fields such as astrophysics or theoretical physics, or roles in science communication, data analysis, or science policy. It is important to research and explore different career paths to find the best fit for your skills and interests.

5. How can I prepare for a physics degree without A2 maths?

If you are considering a physics degree without A2 maths, it is important to take the time to strengthen your maths skills before starting the program. You can do this by practicing with online resources, taking a preparatory course, or seeking help from a tutor. It is also beneficial to familiarize yourself with the concepts and topics covered in A2 maths to have a better understanding of the maths involved in physics.