Physics concept questions (electric field & potential diff.)

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects on electric field and potential difference when the distance between plates is decreased or when the plates are of infinite length. It is concluded that in both cases, the electric field should increase, while the potential difference may either decrease or remain the same depending on the specific scenario. The conversation also mentions the importance of treating the plates as infinite in order to simplify the calculations.
catch22

Homework Statement

upload_2015-11-10_18-58-59.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) charges should remain the same since there is no path for them to go anyway.
2) Now, if the panels were of infinite length, I believe the electric field should be the same regardless of distance? But in this case, the panels aren't infinitely long so there are sharp edges at each end and electric fields are stronger at sharp edges so I believe the answer should be : electric field increases.
3) using V=Ed , if d decreases and E increases... I have no idea then because it would depend on the magnitudes of d and E.

Physics news on Phys.org
#2)
upload_2015-11-10_19-15-12.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

#2a) the battery maintains the electric potential in each plate so the potential difference should remain the same.

#2b) using V = Ed, if V is constant, d is decreased, E should increase then.

#2c) I guess charges would remain the same since positive charges on the left plate would be require work to reach the positive terminal of the battery? and same goes for the left side.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-10_19-14-55.png
    upload_2015-11-10_19-14-55.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 337
upload_2015-11-10_19-37-24.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is how I picture this:

upload_2015-11-10_19-37-56.png

using V=Ed, since V is constant, and the distance between the slab of metal and each plate is d/4, E should increase.

In respect of the first problem:
catch22 said:
if the panels were of infinite length, I believe the electric field should be the same regardless of distance? But in this case, the panels aren't infinitely long so there are sharp edges at each end and electric fields are stronger at sharp edges
I don't think you are supposed to worry about those details here. Treat the plates as infinite.
Yes, the field should not change. What does that tell you about potential difference?

Also, remember that the potential at any point is the sum of the potentials due to all the different charges. Consider the potential at one plate. As the other plate gets closer, will the potential there change?

For your other problems, please post each in a separate thread. Gets too confused otherwise.

haruspex said:
In respect of the first problem:

I don't think you are supposed to worry about those details here. Treat the plates as infinite.
Yes, the field should not change. What does that tell you about potential difference?

Also, remember that the potential at any point is the sum of the potentials due to all the different charges. Consider the potential at one plate. As the other plate gets closer, will the potential there change?

For your other problems, please post each in a separate thread. Gets too confused otherwise.
If the field doesn't change, then V should decrease as d decreases.

but why do we treat the plates as if they were infinitely long? say the plates are 1 meter long, each, would the field still remain the same?

catch22 said:
If the field doesn't change, then V should decrease as d decreases.

but why do we treat the plates as if they were infinitely long? say the plates are 1 meter long, each, would the field still remain the same?
Yes, The potential difference should decrease.
The plates are not infinitely long, so the field is a bit more complicated, but I see no reason why it should change the general trend of the answer. You are not given the relationship between the plate lengths and separation, so it is not possible to be more precise.

Likes catch22

Related to Physics concept questions (electric field & potential diff.)

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that a charged object has on other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of an electric field is always in the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, this is expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit of charge between the two points. The unit of measurement for potential difference is the volt (V).

4. How is potential difference related to electric field?

The relationship between potential difference and electric field is described by the equation V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the two points. This means that the potential difference is directly proportional to the electric field and the distance between the two points.

5. What is the difference between electric field and potential difference?

Electric field and potential difference are closely related but are not the same thing. Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of a charged object on other charged objects, while potential difference is a measure of the work required to move a unit of charge between two points in an electric field. In short, electric field is a property of the field itself, while potential difference is a measurement of the energy of the field.