Physics Centripetal Force problem?

In summary, the question is asking about the necessary rotation rate for a space station with a diameter of 200m to achieve 0.7 times the gravitational force of the Earth's surface. The answer involves calculating the angular speed and period of rotation, which are found to be 0.2618 rad/sec and 24 seconds, respectively. The linear speed at the outer rim is also calculated to be 26.2 m/s.
Brij Patel
1. At what rate a space station 200m in diameter would have to rotate to create gravity equal to 0.7 that at the surface of earth. How fast does it spin, and how long would it take to make a complete rotation? 2. a2 = v2 / 100m
T = 2pi(r) / v

so far: 6.867m/s2 = v2 / 100m = 26.2 m/s

T = 2pi(100) / 26.2m/s = 24 sec

did I do it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your work looks good. The phrase "how fast does it spin" might refer to angular speed rather than linear speed at the outer rim.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

Your work looks good. The phrase "how fast does it spin" might refer to angular speed rather than linear speed at the outer rim.
The problem is word for word so I assume they're asking for angular speed.
Am I correct, though?

If they're asking for angular speed, then you need to calculate the angular speed. I believe your answers for the linear speed and period of rotation are correct.

TSny said:
If they're asking for angular speed, then you need to calculate the angular speed. I believe your answers for the linear speed and period of rotation are correct.
w = 2pi / T
w = 2pi / 24 = .2618 rad/sec
is that correct?

Yes. It's also v/r = 26.2/100=0.262 rad/sec

Related to Physics Centripetal Force problem?

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary to maintain circular motion. Without a centripetal force, an object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circle. As any of these factors increase, the centripetal force also increases.

How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal force is directed away from the center of the circle. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that arises due to the inertia of the object in circular motion.