Physics book suggestions to understand the concepts

In summary, the person is a second year science student in India and is struggling with their studies. They are looking for recommendations for physics books that are not too advanced. Some suggestions given include Kleppner and Kolenkow for mechanics, Alonso and Finn for fundamental university physics, Giancoli, Resnick, or Serway for basic physics, and Concepts of Physics by H C Verma for understanding concepts. Another recommendation is Ramamurti Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics which is based on his video lectures. The only issue mentioned is that the problem sets are not included in the books but can be found on Yale's website.
Hashim M
I'm studying 2nd year and I'm self studying some of the concepts in the physics,so I would be grateful if someone suggests me a book for the concept understanding

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is waaaaay to vague.

micromass said:
Your post is waaaaay to vague.
I'm soo sorry for it.
How can I help u?

Hashim M said:
I'm soo sorry for it.
How can I help u?

Give detailed information about you, your background, your goals, your preference in books, your current struggles, etc.

micromass said:
Give detailed information about you, your background, your goals, your preference in books, your current struggles, etc.

I'm studying 2nd college in India,I'm studying science.
In our country, for further science courses to study, we have to excel in several entrance exams.
I was not knowing the last year that the topics for the entrance exams would be from both 1st and the 2nd year.
I'm not thorough with my 1st year's topics in all the subjects (physics,chemistry,maths and biology).
So to prepare (self study rather). I need books for the understanding of concepts,
In my physics course book of the 1st year,I have to topics or chapters like Newtonian mechanics,waves,thermodynamics etc.

Provided you have the math background, Kleppner and Kolenkow may be a great place to learn mechanics. The book is very well written, but the problem sets are extremely hard. I had finished Calculus 2 and was taking Linear Algebra, when I first started learning mechanics. So I had the necessary mathematics needed to learn from this book.

Another option, that is easier then Kleppner and Kolenkow, but is also a good book is the physics series by Alonso and Finn. The series consist of three books and the name of the series is called: Fundamental University Physics. The books are expensive, the third volume is near 800 dollars. Unless you can find these books for cheap I wouldn't bother. Although, I believe they are the best for learning physics.

There is hope. The indian market has reprints of these 3 books. I am not sure about the quality, and if the material was exactly reprinted, so buy with caution. Maybe someone who has seen the reprints for the indian market can clue in. Everything is derived. It does assume a student knows there calculus thoroughly.

MidgetDwarf said:
Provided you have the math background, Kleppner and Kolenkow may be a great place to learn mechanics. The book is very well written, but the problem sets are extremely hard. I had finished Calculus 2 and was taking Linear Algebra, when I first started learning mechanics. So I had the necessary mathematics needed to learn from this book.

Another option, that is easier then Kleppner and Kolenkow, but is also a good book is the physics series by Alonso and Finn. The series consist of three books and the name of the series is called: Fundamental University Physics. The books are expensive, the third volume is near 800 dollars. Unless you can find these books for cheap I wouldn't bother. Although, I believe they are the best for learning physics.

There is hope. The indian market has reprints of these 3 books. I am not sure about the quality, and if the material was exactly reprinted, so buy with caution. Maybe someone who has seen the reprints for the indian market can clue in. Everything is derived. It does assume a student knows there calculus thoroughly.
Thanks for ur response
Will check in college library tomrrow,hopefully I must get there
I'll be grateful to u if u just me more books of that kind and which is not made for too higher level . :)

A basic physics book, would Giancoli,Resnick,or Serway. I would rather learn from Alonso and Finn and supplement my readings with Giancoli or Resnick.

Likes Leonard Feynman and Hashim M
MidgetDwarf said:
A basic physics book, would Giancoli,Resnick,or Serway. I would rather learn from Alonso and Finn and supplement my readings with Giancoli or Resnick.
Thank u soo much

Hashim M said:
I'm studying 2nd college in India,I'm studying science.
In our country, for further science courses to study, we have to excel in several entrance exams.
I was not knowing the last year that the topics for the entrance exams would be from both 1st and the 2nd year.
I'm not thorough with my 1st year's topics in all the subjects (physics,chemistry,maths and biology).
So to prepare (self study rather). I need books for the understanding of concepts,
In my physics course book of the 1st year,I have to topics or chapters like Newtonian mechanics,waves,thermodynamics etc.
I know Exactly what you are going through. I will suggest a book from India which is VERY good for your purpose.
CONCEPTS OF PHYSICS VOL 1 and VOL 2 by H C Verma.

http://www.flipkart.com/concepts-ph...ker=start&ss=2b871233a8c57b0a2f0a51fca13ec5ab

http://www.flipkart.com/concepts-ph...ker=start&ss=2b871233a8c57b0a2f0a51fca13ec5ab

Likes Hashim M
Since I liked his video lectures, I recently bought both volumes of Ramamurti Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics to see if they'd be useful for tutoring and recommending to people learning the subject for the first time. I haven't browsed the entire content of the books, but I've liked every section I've read in both so far. It's all based around his lectures though, and I can definitely recommend them.

So, I'd say that right now I can give Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics a tentative 5/5 stars, and it doesn't look like that rating will dip. The only slight issue is that the problem sets are all on Yale's website rather than in the books, but if someone can read these forums, they can probably download a .zip and read the .PDFs from there, too.

Likes Hashim M

Related to Physics book suggestions to understand the concepts

1. What are some recommended physics books for beginners?

Some popular physics books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli.

2. Are there any physics books that are suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, there are several physics books written for a general audience, such as "The Physics of Everyday Things" by James Kakalios and "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene.

3. Can you suggest a physics book that covers both theory and practical applications?

"Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker is a popular textbook that covers both theory and practical applications in physics.

4. What is a good introductory physics book for high school students?

"Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt is a highly recommended introductory physics book for high school students.

5. Are there any online resources for physics book recommendations?

Yes, websites such as Goodreads and Amazon have lists and reviews of popular physics books. The American Physical Society also has a list of recommended physics books for different levels of expertise.