Physics BA vs BS: Virginia Tech Difficulty Comparison

• Thread starter tibreaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a B.S. is more meticulous and challenging than a B.A. at Virginia Tech. However, there is only a minor difference in difficulty, so it doesn't really matter which one you choose.
tibreaker
So next year I am going to be a freshmen physics major at Virgina Tech. I was wondering if there was anybody that could explain the difference in difficulty with a physics BA vs. BS (if there is one) at Virginia Tech and if one is "better" than the other. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The B.A. is Bachelor of the Arts and the B.S. is Bachelor of Science. A thread about this is right here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ba-vs-bs.193362/
A B.S. is probably more meticulous and challenging. Why would you want to go into physics for only a bachelor's degree?

It's a little complicated but basically I'm going to be a cadet at VT doing Air Force ROTC and I'm concerned about time management between ROTC and my major. Because of this only a bachelors is in the foreseeable future. Thanks.

I don't believe that B.A. versus B.S. matters then (if at all). It's only undergrad work, so, even if you did want to pursue physics further, a mere title shouldn't affect anything.

Okay thanks for the info. Now, do you know to what extent a B.A. is easier than a B.S.? Is there a minor difference or a significant one? Because if there is only a minor difference, then I might as well just stick with the B.S., right?

It really doesn't matter. Lots of times, schools can offer both both degrees with same requirements/prerequisites. Pick what you want (I'd go for B.S., IMO, though).

tibreaker said:
difference in difficulty with a physics BA vs. BS (if there is one) at Virginia Tech
The VT website probably lists the course requirements for the two degrees. What are the differences between them?

They offer a B.A. and a B.S. but only have a course catalog for a B.S.

tibreaker said:
only have a course catalog for a B.S.
You can find checksheets with detailed course requirements for all degrees here:

http://www.registrar.vt.edu/graduation/checksheets/a-z/index.html

Enter "physics" in the search box. They don't seem to have ones for 2020 yet (your graduating class?), so choose 2018 as the most recent.

From the physics overview page:

http://www.undergradcatalog.registrar.vt.edu/1516/science/phys.html

a traditional course of study as preparation for joining the technical staffs of industries or government laboratories, or for graduate studies in physics or astronomy (B.S.); or to pursue an interdisciplinary course of study with a strong background in physics (B.A.).

It looks like there are serveral versions of the B.A. depending on what it's going to be combined with.

At some point VT will probably assign you an academic advisor. Ask him/her about it. Since you're going to be in ROTC, you should probably also talk to somebody in the ROTC program. They're surely used to advising their students about issues like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Physics BA vs BS: Virginia Tech Difficulty Comparison

1. What is the difference between a Physics BA and BS degree at Virginia Tech?

The main difference between a Physics BA and BS degree at Virginia Tech is the level of math and science coursework required. A BS degree in Physics typically requires more advanced coursework in math, physics, and other sciences compared to a BA degree. Additionally, a BS degree may have a stronger focus on research and laboratory work.

2. Which degree is more difficult to obtain: Physics BA or BS at Virginia Tech?

This can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Generally, a BS degree may be considered more difficult as it requires a higher level of math and science coursework. However, a BA degree may be more challenging for those who struggle with writing and communication skills, as it typically includes more humanities and social science courses.

3. What career paths can I pursue with a Physics BA or BS degree from Virginia Tech?

A BA or BS degree in Physics from Virginia Tech can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, education, and more. The specific career opportunities may vary depending on the individual's interests, skills, and additional education or training.

4. Are there any advantages to choosing a Physics BA over a BS degree at Virginia Tech?

One potential advantage of choosing a BA degree is the flexibility to take a wider range of courses in different disciplines. This can be beneficial for those who are interested in pursuing a double major or minor in another subject. Additionally, a BA degree may be a better fit for those who are more interested in the theoretical or conceptual aspects of physics rather than the practical application.

5. How can I decide which degree is right for me: Physics BA or BS at Virginia Tech?

It is important to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when deciding between a Physics BA or BS at Virginia Tech. Additionally, speaking with an academic advisor or current students in each program can provide valuable insight. You may also want to research the specific courses and requirements for each degree to determine which aligns more closely with your academic and career interests.