Physics and Electrical Engineering Double Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of whether to double major in physics and EE or not. The individual is interested in both fields, particularly in nanotechnology, but is concerned about the workload and impact on their GPA. The suggestion is to pursue a physics major and take relevant EE courses, possibly with a minor, and then pursue a master's in EE for a more focused and cost-effective approach. It is also mentioned that a physics major could provide a strong foundation for nanotechnology work in the future.
Physics_Chris
Hello there and thank you for taking your time to read this. Well my problem is that I can't decide if I should double major or not. I am going to be an incoming freshman to college with my intended major being physics. I wanted to double major with EE because I find it to also be interesting and I wanted to learn new things in this field. I'm also interested in nanotechnology and thought that this combination would be helpful down the road, but I don't know how heavy the workload will be.( I know it will probably be a lot though .___. ) A concern of mine is that I won't be able to handle the workload and my GPA will drop considerably, but I'm willing to work my hardest. So basically, double major or not? Any help will be amazing, and thanks ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_Chris said:
Hello there and thank you for taking your time to read this. Well my problem is that I can't decide if I should double major or not. I am going to be an incoming freshman to college with my intended major being physics. I wanted to double major with EE because I find it to also be interesting and I wanted to learn new things in this field. I'm also interested in nanotechnology and thought that this combination would be helpful down the road, but I don't know how heavy the workload will be.( I know it will probably be a lot though .___. ) A concern of mine is that I won't be able to handle the workload and my GPA will drop considerably, but I'm willing to work my hardest. So basically, double major or not? Any help will be amazing, and thanks ^_^

I'm a double major in EE and physics, and I've taken tracks related to nano-electronics and communication systems with regards to my EE degree. Are you intending on going to graduate school? I ask because in that case I would say get a physics major and take the relevant EE coursework related to nanotechnology (get a minor in EE possibly) and then do a masters in EE, this is a lot less useless coursework (you won't need courses in controls, power, and communications if you want to do nanotech and fabrication) and is going to be cheaper overall. The physics major with courses in quantum mechanics and modern physics and statistical thermodynamics is actually better prepared to do EE work in that area than a lot of EE's believe it or not. I think a course like a suggested will be kinder to your GPA as well. YMMV.

Related to Physics and Electrical Engineering Double Major?

1. What is the difference between physics and electrical engineering?

Physics is the study of natural phenomena and the fundamental laws that govern the universe, while electrical engineering is the application of physics principles to design, develop, and maintain electrical systems and devices.

2. Is it common to double major in physics and electrical engineering?

While it is not as common as double majors in related fields such as physics and mathematics or electrical engineering and computer science, it is still a popular combination for students interested in a career in research and development or technology.

3. What career opportunities are available for a double major in physics and electrical engineering?

The combination of physics and electrical engineering opens up a variety of career opportunities such as working in research and development for technology companies, designing and testing electronic devices, or pursuing a career in academia.

4. Can I still pursue graduate studies with a double major in physics and electrical engineering?

Yes, having a double major in these fields can actually make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs in both physics and electrical engineering. It shows a strong foundation in both theoretical and practical aspects of these fields.

5. What skills do I need to be successful in a double major in physics and electrical engineering?

To succeed in a double major in these fields, you will need strong problem-solving skills, a solid understanding of mathematics and physics principles, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Additionally, strong time management and organizational skills will be important for balancing the workload of two majors.