Physical significance of integral of F cross dr

In summary: The line integral doesn't represent the torque on a body. The total torque on a body would be a volume integral:##\vec{\tau} = -\int \vec F \times \vec r dV##
arpon
In the vector calculus course, I calculated integrals like,
##\int \vec F \times \vec{dr} ##
Does this kind of integrals have physical significance or practical application other than Biot-Savart's Law?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Newtonian mechanics the integral represents torque or rate of change of angular momentum.

The cross-product as a mathematical tool was invented probably because of its practical application. Although its development as a mathematical tool was post-Newton, it is very useful in mechancs.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
In Newtonian mechanics the integral represents torque or rate of change of angular momentum.

The cross-product as a mathematical tool was invented probably because of its practical application. Although its development as a mathematical tool was post-Newton, it is very useful in mechancs.

AM
Isn't torque defined as ##\vec r \times \vec F## ?

arpon said:
Isn't torque defined as ##\vec r \times \vec F## ?

##\vec r \times \vec F = - \vec F \times \vec r##

Yes. That is just a convention. The difference is the sign or direction of the torque vector.

AM

PeroK said:
##\vec r \times \vec F = - \vec F \times \vec r##
That was not my point. ##d \vec r## represents infinitesimal change in position vector, while ##\vec r## represents position vector. Could you please give me a practical example where the net torque is calculated by ##\int \vec F \times d \vec r## ?

arpon said:
That was not my point. ##d \vec r## represents infinitesimal change in position vector, while ##\vec r## represents position vector. Could you please give me a practical example where the net torque is calculated by ##\int \vec F \times d \vec r## ?

The line integral doesn't represent the torque on a body. The total torque on a body would be a volume integral:

##\vec{\tau} = -\int \vec F \times \vec r dV##

I'm not sure when you would use the line integral.

arpon said:
I see your point. PeroK is quite right that ##\int \vec F \times d \vec r## does not represent torque. I am not sure what it would represent. I also don't see how it applies even to the Biot-Savart Law.

AM

Related to Physical significance of integral of F cross dr

1. What is the physical significance of the integral of F cross dr?

The integral of F cross dr is known as the line integral of a vector field. It represents the total work done by a force field along a path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance traveled along the path.

2. How is the integral of F cross dr related to work?

As mentioned before, the integral of F cross dr represents the total work done by a force field along a path. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force at each point along the path by the distance traveled in that direction. This integral is also known as the work integral.

3. Can you give an example of a physical situation where the integral of F cross dr is used?

A common example is calculating the work done by a force field on a moving object, such as a car driving along a curved track. The integral of F cross dr takes into account the changing force and direction of the car as it moves along the track, giving the total work done by the force field on the car.

4. How does the direction of F affect the integral of F cross dr?

The direction of F is an important factor in the integral of F cross dr. The cross product of F and dr gives a vector that is perpendicular to both F and dr. This means that the integral will be affected by the angle between F and dr, as well as the magnitude of F and the distance traveled along the path.

5. What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral, such as the integral of F cross dr, is calculated along a curve or path. It takes into account the force and distance traveled along that path. A surface integral, on the other hand, is calculated over a two-dimensional surface and takes into account the force and distance in both the x and y directions.