Photons Moving Through a Single Slit (Uncertainty)

In summary: You need to find the minimum spot size at B, which is the smallest possible spot size. This will be affected by the distance L and the deBroigle wavelength \lambda_0, which you can calculate using the given equations. In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the uncertainty in momentum from a beam of photons passing through a slit, sketching the spot size at a certain location as a function of slit width, and determining the minimum spot size expected at that location based on distance and wavelength.
trevor51590

Homework Statement

The diagram is attached. Photons are being beamed with momentum [itex]\rho_{0}[/itex] and mass [itex]m[/itex] at a slit of width A

Estimate the uncertainty [itex]\Delta p_{y}[/itex] emerging from A
Sketch spot size at B as a function of slit width using the uncertainty principle
Determine minimum spot size expected at B as a function of L and the deBroigle wavelegth [itex]\lambda_{0}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta p_{y}\Delta_{y}=\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\lambda=\frac{h}{p}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt for part one is shown in image two. I achieved an answer of [itex]\frac{h}{\Delta y}[/itex]. [itex]\Delta y[/itex] is represented by [itex]a[/itex] in image one
Part two wants spot size as a function of width of slit - I found it as a function instead of L but I believe the sketch is relatively accurate. I'm not sure how to give it in the form it wants
Part three just throws me for a loop and I really don't have any idea

Thank you as always!

Attachments

• IMG_20130418_081112.jpg
    IMG_20130418_081112.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20130418_081722.jpg
    IMG_20130418_081722.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
For part 2, don't neglect the width of the slit - if the slit is very large, this is relevant. As a practical example, you do not expect a beam spot of some micrometers if the slit has a width of one meter (like a window). In addition, I think you should express theta in terms of the width of the slit and the wavelength.

If you fix that part, part 3 will make sense.

Related to Photons Moving Through a Single Slit (Uncertainty)

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle in relation to photons moving through a single slit?

The Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know both the position and the momentum of a particle, such as a photon, with absolute certainty. This means that when a photon is moving through a single slit, it is impossible to know exactly where the photon will strike the screen on the other side, as well as its exact speed or direction.

2. How does the width of the single slit affect the uncertainty of the photon's position?

The width of the single slit directly affects the uncertainty of the photon's position. A narrower slit will result in a greater uncertainty, as the photon must pass through a smaller opening and its position is less defined. A wider slit will result in a smaller uncertainty, as the photon has more space to pass through and its position is relatively more defined.

3. Why does the Uncertainty Principle only apply to photons and other particles at the quantum level?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. At this level, particles such as photons behave like both waves and particles, making it impossible to precisely define their position and momentum at the same time.

4. Can the uncertainty of a photon's position be reduced by using a smaller slit or a more precise measuring device?

No, the uncertainty of a photon's position cannot be reduced by using a smaller slit or a more precise measuring device. This is because the uncertainty is a fundamental property of the photon itself, and is not affected by external factors such as the size of the slit or the precision of the measuring device.

5. How does the uncertainty of a photon's position affect its behavior when passing through a single slit?

The uncertainty of a photon's position affects its behavior when passing through a single slit by causing it to spread out and form a diffraction pattern on the screen instead of hitting a single point. This is because the photon's position is not precisely defined, and it can pass through multiple points on the slit and interfere with itself, resulting in a diffraction pattern.