Photo Contest - Book 'em, Dano (7/9-7/15)

In summary, the photo contest's theme is "Book 'em, Dano" which is based on crime, mystery, or police-related imagery. To enter, you must submit your photo through the designated platform and follow the guidelines and rules. Eligible photos include those that fit the theme and meet the specified guidelines. Multiple submissions are allowed, but check the rules for any limits. Prizes may vary, but typically include cash, gift cards, or other rewards for first, second, and third place winners.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Book 'em, Dano!

If you know that phrase, then you may have dated yourself. That's the infamous line uttered by Steve McGarrett in the old Hawaii Five-0 series (although I don't know if they use that as well in the new series). But our contest this week has nothing to do with Hawaii, crime, police, etc. It is more sedate than that.

The theme this week is all about ... BOOKS! Not the Kindle kind, not the iBooks kind, not the Nook kind. It is on good, old, familiar books. Your photo must have, as its main subject, books!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deleted my post. Sorry for not understanding the theme.
:(

Last edited:
I feel the need to explain this submission:

[PLAIN]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8227/dsc8363c.jpg

I wanted to approach the subject ('books') from a fresh perspective- not treating books as a graphical object, and not zooming in on a page of text. I wanted to focus on books as a *literary* object, and as the subject ties together 'books' and 'crime/police', I spent some time thinking about "dangerous" books that would be good to assemble into a coherent theme.

All these books, with the exception of the two on the right, were chosen based on how various legal systems reacted to their publication and/or ownership- usually by censorship, but in some cases rather severe criminal penalties. The two books on the right simply establish context; the lower book is a story about a fascist state that exercises total media control, while the upper is a book written by my father-in-law covering 4th amendment search and seizure issues, and should be required reading for undergraduates (who are the target audience).

That these books may be considered "offensive" is another reason they were specifically chosen. Again, reflecting the US constitution, the only speech worth protecting is speech you disagree with. I do not claim to agree (or disagree) with the contents of any of these books, but I have read them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a very tiny portion of my collection of books on astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology, etc. Showing more of them would have made the titles illegible (I tried).

astrobook_cont.jpg

Amazon, Schamazon...
This really is owned by a Mr Scrivener. Nominative determinism rules!

books.jpg

I_am_learning said:
Deleted my post. Sorry for not understanding the theme.
:(

No problem, you are learning. :biggrin:

AlephZero said:
Amazon, Schamazon...
This really is owned by a Mr Scrivener. Nominative determinism rules!

books.jpg

My dream book store :!)

drizzle said:
My dream book store :!)
That does look like a cozy place to inspect and buy books. There was a non-descript little used-book shop in the next town over until a few years ago. Tiny, and crammed ceiling to floor with used books of all kinds. I could easily spend a whole day there if I had the time (and didn't run out of money!

I picked up some real treasures there, including a really crisp copy of Philip Sharpe's "The Rifle in America" for $20.

turbo-1 said:
That does look like a cozy place to inspect and buy books.

It's not so little. You can't see from the picture that it actually occupies 5 floors of the building, and they claim to stock more than 30,000 volumes.

BTW the home made "venue 11" notice is to do with an arts festival in the town this week.

Final day to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

Last few hours to get your books in!

Zz.

Related to Photo Contest - Book 'em, Dano (7/9-7/15)

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Book 'em, Dano". This refers to the popular phrase from the TV show "Hawaii Five-0" and the theme of the contest is based on crime, mystery, or police-related imagery.

2. How do I enter the photo contest?

To enter the photo contest, you must submit your photo through the designated platform or website. Make sure to follow the guidelines and rules provided for the contest to ensure your submission is valid.

3. What type of photos are eligible for the contest?

Photos that fit the theme of the contest and meet the guidelines and rules specified are eligible for the photo contest. This can include a wide range of genres such as crime scene photography, police-related imagery, or mystery-themed photos.

4. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the photo contest. However, make sure to carefully review the rules and guidelines to see if there is a limit on the number of photos you can submit per person.

5. What are the prizes for the photo contest?

The prizes for the photo contest may vary depending on the organizer. Typically, there will be a first, second, and third place winner, and they may receive cash prizes, gift cards, or other rewards. Make sure to check the contest details for more information on the prizes.