Philosophy and history forums recommendation

In summary, the speaker is looking for web forums to ask about philosophy and history, as it is not allowed on the current forum. They mention finding a list of forums through a Google search and explain that the current forum has a history section but no longer hosts a philosophy section. They suggest checking with a mentor for any potential discussions on the topic in other sub-forums. They also mention a book that integrates history and philosophy of science, but clarify that discussions on the actual philosophy may not be allowed.
kent davidge
I have only found so far on the web forums about physics and math.

I have questions about philosophy and history that I would like to ask.

Does anyone know of good webforums where I can do that? (Since that's forbidden on here :wink:)

Science news on Phys.org
Oh, all of a sudden a list of such forums and even a list of Quora recommendations show up in my Google Search.

This must be due to my browser being set up for search within my country's domain.

We have a History forum here https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/art-music-history-and-linguistics.20/

We no longer host Philosophy due to the number of people that post without any actual Philosophy learning, they think that any thought they have classifies as "Philosophy" and we ALWAYS end up with a huge mess.

Please feel free to read and post in our History forum, you will find many great and enlightening posts as well as links to vetted History related resources.

This thread is locked as it has been answered.

Likes bhobba
Evo said:

Just to add some further detail. History of science can be discussed in the various sub-forums - not just the one above. Many physics books discuss the history and philosophy of science in an integrated manner such as a book I read recently called The Philosopher and The Physicist that discussed a now long forgotten debate between the philosopher Bergson and Einstein. It was very famous at the time, and was a reason why Einstein did not get a Nobel Prize for relativity. Pointing that out is on topic, but the actual philosophy itself is not. It can be a bit tricky so if in doubt check with a mentor. The answer here BTW was the philosophy was no longer relevant as our modern understanding of relativity made it redundant.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Evo

1. What is the purpose of philosophy and history forums?

The purpose of philosophy and history forums is to provide a platform for individuals to discuss and exchange ideas, theories, and perspectives related to philosophy and history. These forums allow for intellectual discourse and critical thinking on various topics and help individuals gain a deeper understanding of these subjects.

2. How do I find a reputable philosophy or history forum?

One way to find a reputable philosophy or history forum is to do some research and read reviews from other users. You can also ask for recommendations from others who are interested in these subjects. Additionally, many universities and academic institutions have online forums that are moderated by experts in the field.

3. Are there any specific guidelines or rules for participating in philosophy and history forums?

Yes, most philosophy and history forums have guidelines and rules that users are expected to follow. These may include being respectful and courteous to others, avoiding personal attacks, and providing evidence or sources to support arguments. It is important to familiarize yourself with the rules of a forum before participating.

4. Can I ask for help with my assignments or essays on philosophy and history forums?

While some forums may allow for discussions and debates on specific topics, it is not appropriate to ask for help with assignments or essays on these forums. These forums are meant for intellectual exchange and not for completing academic work.

5. Are there any alternative platforms for discussing philosophy and history besides forums?

Yes, there are many alternative platforms for discussing philosophy and history, such as social media groups, online communities, and blogs. These platforms may offer a more informal and diverse range of perspectives compared to traditional forums. However, it is important to ensure that the sources and information shared on these platforms are credible and reliable.