Philosophical Nothingness Argument - Jim Holt

• Thread starter Vorde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the conversation discusses the book Why Does the World Exist by Jim Holt and its opening chapter, which presents a quick proof that there must be something rather than nothing. The proof argues that in a world with nothing, there would be no laws, and therefore nothing would be forbidden. The conversation also mentions that the book moves on to other topics and the speaker is stuck on this argument. They question whether there may be flaws or weaknesses in the proof.
Vorde
I recently received Why Does the World Exist by Jim Holt. I haven't gotten around to reading anything but the first chapter, but the book opens with a rather interesting paragraph:
A Quick Proof That There Must Be Something Rather Than Nothing, for Modern People Who Lead Busy Lives

Suppose there were nothing. Then there would be no laws; for laws, after all, are something. If there were no laws, then everything would be permitted. If everything were permitted, then nothing would be forbidden. So if there were nothing, nothing would be forbidden. Thus nothing is self-forbidding.

QED

The book then starts on a completely different note, and from my skimming it doesn't seem to treat this introduction with any length.

I, however, am stuck on this.
It seems to me to be a rather concise proof of what it tries to accomplish, but I cannot believe it is as simple as it appears.

Can anyone point out a flaw in this argument? Or a place of weakness?

Thank you.

I'll note that an initial qualm was over the use of 'nothing' both as a noun and as meaning 'the lack of a noun' but it seems to me that even with this considered, this paragraph makes a daunting argument.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, we closed the philosophy forum.

Related to Philosophical Nothingness Argument - Jim Holt

1. What is the Philosophical Nothingness Argument?

The Philosophical Nothingness Argument is a philosophical concept proposed by Jim Holt in his book "Why Does the World Exist?" It explores the idea of why there is something rather than nothing in the universe and questions our understanding of existence and nothingness.

2. What is the main premise of the Philosophical Nothingness Argument?

The main premise of the Philosophical Nothingness Argument is that the existence of the universe raises a fundamental philosophical question: why is there something rather than nothing? This argument challenges our understanding of the universe and our place in it.

3. How does the Philosophical Nothingness Argument relate to scientific theories?

The Philosophical Nothingness Argument does not directly relate to scientific theories, as it is a philosophical concept rather than a scientific one. However, it raises questions about the nature of existence and the universe, which can be explored and discussed by both philosophers and scientists.

4. What are some possible responses to the Philosophical Nothingness Argument?

Some possible responses to the Philosophical Nothingness Argument include the idea that the question itself is flawed or unanswerable, the concept of the universe as a necessary existence, and the idea that the universe may be a product of chance or randomness.

5. How does the Philosophical Nothingness Argument impact our understanding of reality?

The Philosophical Nothingness Argument challenges our understanding of reality by questioning the very foundation of existence. It forces us to think deeply about the nature of the universe and our place in it, and can lead to a better understanding of our existence and the world around us.