PhD Thesis: Searching for the Right Lab

In summary, the speaker has been busy searching for labs to apply to for their Phd thesis. They were inspired by a talk on a new discovery given by a speaker from a top tier American university, but feel they have close to zero chance of getting into that program. They have been looking for similar labs, but have not had any luck and are ready to move on to other options. They are seeking suggestions from others and wondering if there are nearby institutions or past collaborators to consider.
fufu
So, I've been very busy shopping around for labs to apply to for my Phd thesis. Last week I went to a conference where I heard a talk on a new discovery that really captured me and made me want to to my thesis work there. I looked the guy up and it turns out, he's from one of the top tier American universities. And here's where the problems start. I have close to zero chance of getting into that program. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad student. I'm standing on solid ground, with good grades (and a few shortcomings in my educational history), but I'm far enough from being outstanding enough to not even consider applying there.

So I've been looking around for labs that work on similar topics, but haven't had any luck so far. I'm also not able to find any information of collaborations or some such things on the net.
Well, I'm ready to move on and look for something else, but I thought if I laid it all out on here, maybe one of the smart PF members would have another suggestion what to do.

?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what field are you interested in? What research does the guy who gave you the talk do?

Can you look up his collaborators and his past students? friendly competitors?
Is there a nearby institution?

Related to PhD Thesis: Searching for the Right Lab

1. What should I consider when searching for the right lab for my PhD thesis?

When searching for the right lab for your PhD thesis, there are several factors to consider. First, make sure the lab's research interests align with your own. You should also consider the lab's resources, such as equipment and funding, as well as the mentorship and support provided by the lab's principal investigator. Additionally, think about the lab's culture and dynamics to ensure a positive and productive work environment.

2. How do I find potential labs for my PhD thesis?

There are several ways to find potential labs for your PhD thesis. One option is to reach out to your academic advisor or colleagues for recommendations. You can also attend conferences and networking events to connect with researchers in your field. Another helpful resource is online databases and directories of research labs, such as those provided by universities or scientific organizations.

3. Should I consider the location of the lab when choosing a PhD thesis lab?

The location of the lab can be an important consideration when choosing a PhD thesis lab. Factors such as proximity to collaborators and access to specialized equipment or resources should be taken into account. Additionally, consider the cost of living and potential opportunities for professional development in the location.

4. How many labs should I visit before making a decision?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the number of labs you should visit will depend on your personal preferences and research needs. However, it is recommended to visit at least 2-3 labs to get a better sense of their research and work environment. It may also be helpful to have a list of questions prepared beforehand to ask during your visits.

5. What should I do if I am having difficulty finding the right lab for my PhD thesis?

If you are having difficulty finding the right lab for your PhD thesis, consider reaching out to your academic advisor or other faculty members for advice. They may be able to suggest potential labs or connect you with researchers in your field. You can also explore alternative options, such as interdisciplinary collaborations or industry partnerships, to find the right fit for your research interests and goals.