PhD in Physics to Management: What's the Best Path?

In summary, the speaker is a PhD student in physics who is considering a career in industry but is not interested in solely being a research scientist. They are interested in transitioning into a management role and are considering options such as an MBA or a combined physics PhD and finance master's. They are seeking advice on the best preparation for making the jump from research to a management-level position.
sequence
I'm current a PhD student in physics with an emphasis in computational biophysics. However, I'm not sure a long, boring career in academia is for me. I'm thinking industry when I'm done but even then, I don't want to necessarily be stuck in a research scientist role for the rest of my life either. I would like to be able to transition more into a management role eventually and then on up (hopefully a high paying one at that too).

I was looking at options available to me here. I would think maybe an MBA is the most obvious choice, but god, the classes look boring and simple. There is also a combined physics phd/finance master's I'm looking into. However, this is generally for people wanting to transition purely to Wall Street whereas I'd still like to be involved in a science-related field.

So does anyone have experience with this? What's the best preparation to eventually make the jump from pure research to a management-level position?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MBA without a doubt. The boring simple classes will pay themselves off when you're managing a science-related company. The other trick to do is to somehow get management experience on your own, which will be really hard since you're a PhD student. I'd go for the MBA.

Last edited:
am still in high school and was hoping to do my undergrad in some type of engineering ( mostly mechanical ) and then do my MBA... However, won't MBA be hard without doing BBA?

thanks

Related to PhD in Physics to Management: What's the Best Path?

1. What is a PhD in Physics to Management?

A PhD in Physics to Management is a specialized program that combines knowledge and skills in both physics and management. It is designed to prepare students for careers in industries that require a strong understanding of both areas, such as technology, finance, and consulting.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in Physics to Management?

Some of the benefits of pursuing a PhD in Physics to Management include gaining a deep understanding of both physics and management principles, developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, and having a competitive edge in securing high-level positions in various industries.

3. What are the prerequisites for a PhD in Physics to Management?

The prerequisites for a PhD in Physics to Management vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs require a bachelor's or master's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field, as well as strong quantitative and analytical skills. Some programs may also require work experience in a relevant industry.

4. What is the career outlook for graduates with a PhD in Physics to Management?

Graduates with a PhD in Physics to Management have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, finance, consulting, and research. They can work as data scientists, project managers, consultants, or researchers in various fields.

5. What is the best path for pursuing a PhD in Physics to Management?

The best path for pursuing a PhD in Physics to Management may vary for each individual. However, it is recommended to start by researching and identifying universities with strong programs in both physics and management. It is also important to gain relevant work experience and develop strong research skills. Networking with professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and opportunities for career development.