PhD in Cosmology: Best UK Universities

In summary, the conversation is about suggesting good universities in the UK for studying cosmology at a PhD level. The person asking is a UK student with a first class MPhys in Physics with Astrophysics and is now studying for a MSc by research. Some universities mentioned are Imperial, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Sussex, Oxford, Nottingham, Durham, Lancaster, Kings, Cardiff, UCL, Queen Mary U of. London, Manchester, and Edinburgh. The conversation also touches on different research areas in cosmology.
kop442000
Could anyone suggest good universities in the UK for studying cosmology at a PhD level?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your background? That will help with compiling a suitable list - e.g. Cambridge won't accept you without part iii, Imperial are likely to not accept you without a Master's, lots of other places only accept people with a four year undergrad degree, etc..

I'm a UK student. I have a first class MPhys in Physics with Astrophysics, and am now studying for a MSc by research - so just in the middle of applying for a PhD position.

Thank you.

Ok, so you sound like a good quality candidate; well here's a partial list

Imperial, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Sussex, Oxford, {Nottingham, Durham, Lancaster, Kings (these are more particle physics orientated, though Durham have a growing computational centre)}, Cardiff (more CMB orientated), UCL, Queen Mary U of. London, Manchester (smallish group, focuses mainly on cosmic strings and defects).

I've likely missed somewhere out...

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do, maybe something related to your MSc project? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to give away too much info on the public forum.

It is my understanding that Newcastle do a little bit of computationally oriented cosmology & gravitational research, but do tell me to be quiet if that isn't true.

I was at an open day at Imperial last week, very impressive ;)

May I ask where you studied/are studying for your previous/current degree?

Many Thanks
Scott Smith

cristo said:
Ok, so you sound like a good quality candidate; well here's a partial list

Imperial, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Sussex, Oxford, {Nottingham, Durham, Lancaster, Kings (these are more particle physics orientated, though Durham have a growing computational centre)}, Cardiff (more CMB orientated), UCL, Queen Mary U of. London, Manchester (smallish group, focuses mainly on cosmic strings and defects).

I've likely missed somewhere out...

Do you have any idea what you'd like to do, maybe something related to your MSc project? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to give away too much info on the public forum.

List seems really good, only other group of the top of my head would be Edinburgh, who have a strong cosmology group.

It's probably best to just look up the research pages and see what people are working on and their recent publications. What would you be interested in?

CMB Lensing? Weak lensing? Statistical cosmology? Large scale structure? Cosmological perturbation theory? Data analysis methods? Non-Gaussianity? CMB Polarisation? 21cm cosmology? Inflationary cosmology? Modified gravity? N-Body simulations? Cosmic Reionisation? Particle cosmology? String cosmology? Galaxies side of things?

Just to throw out some generic research areas...

LithiumHelios said:
List seems really good, only other group of the top of my head would be Edinburgh, who have a strong cosmology group.

Thanks, I knew I'd miss one. Edinburgh have, of course, a strong cosmology group!

Related to PhD in Cosmology: Best UK Universities

1. What is a PhD in Cosmology?

A PhD in Cosmology is a research-oriented degree that focuses on the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It involves advanced coursework in astrophysics, astronomy, and mathematics, as well as original research and the completion of a dissertation.

2. What are the best universities in the UK for a PhD in Cosmology?

Some of the top universities in the UK for a PhD in Cosmology include the University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Imperial College London, Durham University, and University of Edinburgh. However, the best university for you will depend on your research interests and the faculty and resources available at each institution.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Cosmology?

The typical length of a PhD in Cosmology in the UK is around 3-4 years. However, this can vary depending on the individual's research progress and the specific requirements of the program.

4. What are the career prospects for someone with a PhD in Cosmology?

A PhD in Cosmology can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government, or private industry. Many graduates also go on to work as science communicators, data analysts, or in other related fields.

5. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in Cosmology?

Admission requirements for a PhD in Cosmology vary by university, but typically include a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Some universities may also require GRE scores and proof of English proficiency for international students.