Phase voltages in line-to-neutral fault

• Thread starter Frank Coutinho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fault Phase
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving symmetrical components where the neutral is solidly grounded, Phase B and C are open, and Phase A is shorted through a zero impedance. The question was raised about how the phase voltages changed in this situation, with the expectation that they would remain the same as before the fault. However, it was explained that the currents in the healthy phases are neglected, leading to changes in the voltages due to the symmetrical components matrix. This is due to voltage drops in the zero sequence impedances, which are normally balanced with no current. The conversation also touched on the role of synchronous machines and the creation of inverse and zero sequence voltages and electromotive forces through unbalanced currents. The individual
Frank Coutinho
Hello, I'm a very slow learner! I try to understand every piece of the information that is given. And recently I was solving some problems involving symmetrical components and I couldn't figure this one out:

Haha.png

-The neutral is solidly grounded.
-Phase B and C are open.
-You're shorting Phase A trough a zero impedance.

My question is:

How the he$£ those phase voltages become that?

I mean, I would expect Phase A and B voltage (Vag, Vbg) to be equal to before the fault, since it is open circuit and the neutral is solidly grounded.

Plus, a zero-sequence and negative-sequence voltage components are present in that. Wasn't the generator suppose to only supply positive-sequence voltage?

Despite all that, I'm sure the exercise is correct, but I do not know why is that.

Hope you can help me :) !

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is normally neglected in the calculation is the current in the healthy phases, hence they are "open" compared to the faulty one. But I agree with you, the phase voltajes are the same (if neutral displacement, voltage drops by homopolar currents, and other phenomena are not considered).

Sadly, It is not what happen. I saw more exercises like this one (LN fault) and the phase voltages do change, a lot.
But still don't know why kkkkkkk.
Pretty interesting stuff.

If someone has any idea why, it would be very appreciated

In a L-G fault, when you apply the symmetrical components matrix to the calculation to get the voltages after the currents are calculated, they are affected by the SC in the other phase. One cause is the voltage drops in the zero sequence impedances which in normal balanced conditions have no current.
The synchronous machines have inverse and zero sequence, of the same magnitude order of the transient direct impedance. When there are unbalanced currents, it is the alternator which generates them, with an inverse and a zero sequence mmf in the airgap, thus with inverse and zero components in the electromotive force also.

xareu said:
In a L-G fault, when you apply the symmetrical components matrix to the calculation to get the voltages after the currents are calculated, they are affected by the SC in the other phase. One cause is the voltage drops in the zero sequence impedances which in normal balanced conditions have no current.
The synchronous machines have inverse and zero sequence, of the same magnitude order of the transient direct impedance. When there are unbalanced currents, it is the alternator which generates them, with an inverse and a zero sequence mmf in the airgap, thus with inverse and zero components in the electromotive force also.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I think I understand what you are saying. So, you do have zero sequence and negative sequence voltages created by unbalanced currents in the generator? Is that right? And if yes, would you know how they actually create this voltages? You some things about the mmf in the airgap but I couldn't quite get that.

Thanks a lot

Well, as you have negative and zero sequences currents, you have negative and zero sequence voltages and armature reaction, thus mmf in the airgap and electromotive force

I recommend you the group Power System Analysis in Linkedin for more expertise than I have.

Related to Phase voltages in line-to-neutral fault

What is a line-to-neutral fault?

A line-to-neutral fault is a type of electrical fault that occurs when an electrical conductor (usually a wire or cable) comes into contact with the ground or a neutral wire. This can result in a short circuit, causing a sudden surge of electricity that can damage electrical equipment or cause fires.

What are phase voltages?

Phase voltages are the voltages associated with each phase of a three-phase power system. In a three-phase system, there are three conductors (or phases) that carry alternating currents at different times. The phase voltages are the voltages between each phase and the neutral wire in a wye-connected system, or between each phase in a delta-connected system.

How are phase voltages affected by a line-to-neutral fault?

In a line-to-neutral fault, the voltage of the affected phase will drop to zero, while the voltages of the other two phases will remain constant. This is because the fault creates a short circuit between the affected phase and the neutral wire, causing the current to flow directly to ground instead of through the normal path.

What are the dangers of a line-to-neutral fault?

Line-to-neutral faults can be dangerous because they can cause electrical fires, damage to electrical equipment, and potential harm to individuals who come into contact with the faulty equipment. They can also cause power outages and disruptions to electrical systems.

How can line-to-neutral faults be prevented?

Line-to-neutral faults can be prevented by ensuring proper installation and maintenance of electrical systems, including proper insulation and grounding. Regular inspections and testing can also help identify potential issues before they become major faults. In addition, using ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) can provide added protection against line-to-neutral faults in residential and commercial settings.