Phase factors and Modulus Square?

In summary: Your "c" above is always positive. I think one question you are asking is might these matrix elements always contain an arbitrary phase factor of the form ## exp(i \phi) ##, and I think the answer to this is yes.Just confirming what Charles has said above, one can always replace ##c## with ##ce^{i\phi}## as this will only impose a constant phase factor on the state. It's chosen as real positive just a matter of convention, pretty much the same case as the constants ##\sqrt{n+1}## and ##\sqrt{n}## in the raising and lowering operators in harmonic oscillator.
kq6up
If I have something like:

$$\lvert \langle M \lvert \hat{L}_x+i\hat{L}_y \rvert M-1 \rangle \rvert ^2=c$$.

where ##c## is any old real number. If I undid the modulus square to find:

$$ \langle M \lvert \hat{L}_x+i\hat{L}_y \rvert M-1 \rangle=\pm \sqrt{c} $$ Would I not have to consider ##c## as being negative, positive as well as imaginary negative positive? So:

$$ \langle M \lvert \hat{L}_x+i\hat{L}_y \rvert M-1 \rangle=\pm i \sqrt{c} $$ as well.

I am trying to get to:

$$ \langle M \lvert \hat{L}_x \rvert M-1 \rangle=\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{c} $$

and:

$$ \langle M \lvert \hat{L}_y \rvert M-1 \rangle=-\frac{i}{2} \sqrt{c} $$

From Landau and Lifshitz QM 3ed page 89, and I am not following. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,
KQ6UP

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the raising and lowering operators: ## L_+=L_x+iL_y ## and ## L_-=L_x-iL_y ##. You can solve for ## L_x ## and ## L_y ## and substitute. The computations are straightforward using the formulas for the result of ## L_+ ## and ## L_- ## operating on the state ## | M > ## (or ## | M-1> ##, etc.).

Charles Link said:
You need the raising and lowering operators: ## L_+=L_x+iL_y ## and ## L_-=L_x-iL_y ##. You can solve for ## L_x ## and ## L_y ## and substitute. The computations are straightforward using the formulas for the result of ## L_+ ## and ## L_- ## operating on the state ## | M > ## (or ## | M-1> ##, etc.).

That is where I started before ##\langle M \lvert \hat{L}_+ \rvert M-1 \rangle=\sqrt{(L+M)(L-M+1)}##, and I am trying to get to:

##\langle M \lvert \hat{L}_x \rvert M-1 \rangle=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(L+M)(L-M+1)}##

Thanks,
KQ6UP

kq6up said:
That is where I started before ##\langle M \lvert \hat{L}_+ \rvert M-1 \rangle=\sqrt{(L+M)(L-M+1)}##, and I am trying to get to:

##\langle M \lvert \hat{L}_x \rvert M-1 \rangle=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{(L+M)(L-M+1)}##

Thanks,
KQ6UP
You can readily compute ## L_x=(L_++L_-)/2 ## . ## \\ ## ## L_- |M-1> ## will give some number times ## |M-2> ##. The matrix element ## <M|M-2> =0 ## and ## <M|M> =1 ##. Also note ## L_+|M-1>=\sqrt{(L+M)(L-M+1)}|M> ##.

Charles Link said:
You can readily compute ## L_x=(L_++L_-)/2 ## . ## \\ ## ## L_- |M-1> ## will give some number times ## |M-2> ##. The matrix element ## <M|M-2> =0 ## and ## <M|M> =1 ##. Also note ## L_+|M-1>=\sqrt{(L+M)(L-M+1)}|M> ##.

This is true. However, I am still wondering about my original question. When you "undo" the square of a modulus, it seems reasonable to me that you would have a family of solutions as detailed above. Is this true?

Thanks,
KQ6UP

kq6up said:
This is true. However, I am still wondering about my original question. When you "undo" the square of a modulus, it seems reasonable to me that you would have a family of solutions as detailed above. Is this true?

Thanks,
KQ6UP
Your "c" above is always positive. I think one question you are asking is might these matrix elements always contain an arbitrary phase factor of the form ## exp(i \phi) ##, and I think the answer to this is yes.

Just confirming what Charles has said above, one can always replace ##c## with ##ce^{i\phi}## as this will only impose a constant phase factor on the state. It's chosen as real positive just a matter of convention, pretty much the same case as the constants ##\sqrt{n+1}## and ##\sqrt{n}## in the raising and lowering operators in harmonic oscillator.

Likes kq6up, Charles Link and bhobba

Related to Phase factors and Modulus Square?

1. What is a phase factor?

A phase factor is a complex number that represents the phase of a wave or signal. It is typically expressed in the form of e^(iθ), where θ is the phase angle. The phase factor determines the position of the wave or signal in space or time.

2. How is the phase factor related to the modulus square?

The phase factor and the modulus square are related through the complex conjugate. The modulus square is the product of a complex number and its conjugate, while the phase factor is the ratio of a complex number and its conjugate. This relationship is important in understanding interference and diffraction phenomena.

3. What is the significance of the modulus square in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the modulus square of the wave function represents the probability density of finding a particle in a specific location. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the phase factor affect the interference pattern of waves?

The phase factor determines the relative phase between two waves, which in turn affects their interference pattern. When the phase difference between two waves is a multiple of 2π, constructive interference occurs, resulting in a larger amplitude. On the other hand, when the phase difference is an odd multiple of π, destructive interference occurs, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

5. Can the phase factor and modulus square be measured?

No, the phase factor and modulus square are not directly measurable. They are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of waves and signals. However, their effects can be observed and measured indirectly through experiments and observations of interference patterns.