Defining Krauss operators with normal distribution

In summary, you have correctly shown that the measurement operators ##A_C##, defined using the Normal Distribution as a probability distribution, satisfy the necessary condition for being valid Krauss operators. However, providing more context and defining notation would improve the clarity of your post.
Danny Boy
I am interested in defining Krauss operators which allow you to define quantum measurements peaked at some basis state. To this end I am considering the Normal Distribution. Consider a finite set of basis states ##\{ |x \rangle\}_x## and a set of quantum measurement operators of the form $$A_C = \sum_x \sqrt{Pr(x|C)} |x \rangle \langle x|.$$ I want to prove that ##A_C## defines valid Krauss operators. If I consider the Normal Distribution $$Pr(x|C) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}}e^{-\frac{(x-C)^2}{2 \sigma^2}}~~~~\text{where } x \in \{-M,-M+1,...,M \}$$ where ##C## is the mean, ##x## the random variable and ##\sigma^2## the variance, then $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty Pr(X=x|C)\,dC = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-\frac{(x-C)^2}{2 \sigma^2}}dC = 1.$$ thus it follows that

$$\int_{C}A_C^{\dagger}A_CdC = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \sum_{x}Pr(x|C) |x \rangle \langle x | dC = \sum_x \bigg[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}Pr(x|C)dC\bigg]|x \rangle \langle x | = \sum_x |x \rangle \langle x | = 1 $$

hence we have shown $$\int_{C}A_{C}^{\dagger}A_C dC = 1$$ hence ##A_C## satisfies the condition necessary for ##\{A_C \}_C## to be Krauss operators.

Please advise if my working and conclusion that ##\{A_c \}_C## are valid Kraus operators is correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I would like to provide some feedback on your post. Your working and conclusion seem to be correct. You have correctly shown that the integral of the measurement operators over all possible outcomes is equal to 1, which is a necessary condition for the operators to be valid Krauss operators. Additionally, your use of the Normal Distribution as a probability distribution is a valid choice for defining quantum measurements peaked at some basis state.

However, I would like to suggest some improvements to your post. Firstly, it would be helpful to define the notation you are using, such as specifying the meaning of the subscript "C" in ##A_C## and the use of summation over "x". This will make it easier for others to understand your post.

Secondly, it would be beneficial to provide some context for your work. Why are you interested in defining these Krauss operators? Are you working on a specific problem or experiment? This will help others understand the motivation behind your work and provide more meaningful feedback.

Overall, your post is well-written and your conclusion is correct. However, providing more context and defining your notation would make it easier for others to understand and provide feedback on your work. Keep up the good work!

Related to Defining Krauss operators with normal distribution

1. What is a Krauss operator?

A Krauss operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a quantum system. It is a set of operators that represent the possible outcomes of a quantum measurement. Each Krauss operator is associated with a specific measurement outcome and has a corresponding probability of occurring.

2. How are Krauss operators defined with normal distribution?

Krauss operators can be defined using a normal distribution, which is a probability distribution commonly used to describe continuous random variables. In this case, the Krauss operators are defined as a set of operators that follow a normal distribution, with each operator representing a different measurement outcome and having a corresponding probability determined by the distribution.

3. What is the significance of using normal distribution in defining Krauss operators?

Using a normal distribution allows for a more realistic representation of measurement outcomes in quantum systems. It takes into account the inherent uncertainty and randomness in quantum measurements, and allows for a continuous range of possible outcomes rather than discrete outcomes. This makes it a useful tool for describing complex quantum systems.

4. How are Krauss operators used in quantum mechanics?

Krauss operators are used to describe the evolution of a quantum system after a measurement has been made. They are applied to the quantum state of the system to calculate the probabilities of different measurement outcomes. This allows us to predict the behavior of the system and make accurate measurements.

5. Can Krauss operators be defined with other probability distributions?

Yes, Krauss operators can be defined using other probability distributions besides the normal distribution. This allows for a more versatile approach in describing different quantum systems and their measurement outcomes. However, the normal distribution is commonly used due to its simplicity and effectiveness in many cases.