PH and pOH and [H+] and [OH-] Problems

• Thread starter justinkoko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary: Assume you are mixing 1L of each solution. Calculate number of moles of HCl in each solution - if you add these numbers you will know how much acid is present. You also know final solution volume. That gives concentration, pH calculation should be easy from this moment on ;)2. Aniline reacts with water to produce OH-. Equlibrium of this reaction is described by Kb constant. Check out how you did pH calculation for weak base (or how it is described in your textbook). You must use exactly the same equation and the same simplifying assumptions, just solve for Kb, not H+ (or OH-).3. Simple stoichiometry and limiting reagent
justinkoko
1. Two HCl(aq) solutions have pH= 2.00 and pH= 3.00, respectively. If equal volumes of these two solutions are combined, the pH of the resulting solution wil be ...

Now I know the answer is 2.26 but I don't know how to actually solve it..

2.Aniline(C6H5NH2) is a weak base. At 25C, a 0.100M aqueous solution has a pH of 8.80. The Kb of aniline is..

Now I know the answer is 4.0x10^-10 but I don't know how to actually solve it..

3. 60.0ml of .100 M KOH is mixed with 40.0ml of .250M HCl at 25C. Assuming the volumes are additive, what is the pH of the resulting solution?

1.4 but I don't know how to solve it..

Please tell me how to do those..I have a chem test tomorrow :bugeye:

TIA..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Calculate the pH of .400M Sr(OH)2

-log(.800M) = .09691

pH= 14-pOH= 13.9

Why is it .800 instead os .400M?

Is it because there are TWO OH s?

justinkoko said:
Calculate the pH of .400M Sr(OH)2

-log(.800M) = .09691

pH= 14-pOH= 13.9

Why is it .800 instead os .400M?

Is it because there are TWO OH s?

Nevermind this. I figured it out.

I still need help on the problems in the first thread.

1. Assume you are mixing 1L of each solution. Calculate number of moles of HCl in each solution - if you add these numbers you will know how much acid is present. You also know final solution volume. That gives concentration, pH calculation should be easy from this moment on ;)

2. Aniline reacts with water to produce OH-. Equlibrium of this reaction is described by Kb constant. Check out how you did pH calculation for weak base (or how it is described in your textbook). You must use exactly the same equation and the same simplifying assumptions, just solve for Kb, not H+ (or OH-).

3. Simple stoichiometry and limiting reagent question - reagent that is left after the neutralization will define pH. If there are exactly the same amounts of reagents autoionization of water will define pH. So check what was left, pH calculation will be just pressing log button on your calculator...

Chemical calculators at

Borek said:
1. Assume you are mixing 1L of each solution. Calculate number of moles of HCl in each solution - if you add these numbers you will know how much acid is present. You also know final solution volume. That gives concentration, pH calculation should be easy from this moment on ;)

2. Aniline reacts with water to produce OH-. Equlibrium of this reaction is described by Kb constant. Check out how you did pH calculation for weak base (or how it is described in your textbook). You must use exactly the same equation and the same simplifying assumptions, just solve for Kb, not H+ (or OH-).

3. Simple stoichiometry and limiting reagent question - reagent that is left after the neutralization will define pH. If there are exactly the same amounts of reagents autoionization of water will define pH. So check what was left, pH calculation will be just pressing log button on your calculator...

Borek
--

Genius!

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Related to PH and pOH and [H+] and [OH-] Problems

1. What is the relationship between pH and pOH?

The pH and pOH are inverse logarithmic scales used to measure the acidity and basicity of a solution. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. A pH below 7 indicates acidity, while a pH above 7 indicates basicity. The pOH scale ranges from 0 to 14 as well, with 7 being neutral. However, a pOH below 7 indicates basicity, while a pOH above 7 indicates acidity. The sum of pH and pOH is always equal to 14.

2. How do you calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. For example, if a solution has a [H+] of 0.001 mol/L, the pH would be calculated as pH = -log(0.001) = 3.

3. What is the significance of [H+] and [OH-] in a solution?

[H+] and [OH-] represent the concentrations of hydrogen ions and hydroxide ions in a solution, respectively. These ions determine the acidity or basicity of a solution. A higher concentration of [H+] indicates a more acidic solution, while a higher concentration of [OH-] indicates a more basic solution. Neutral solutions have equal concentrations of [H+] and [OH-], resulting in a pH of 7.

4. How do you convert between pH and [H+] or pOH and [OH-]?

To convert between pH and [H+], you can use the formula [H+] = 10^(-pH). For example, if the pH of a solution is 4, the [H+] would be equal to 10^(-4) = 0.0001 mol/L. To convert between pOH and [OH-], you can use the formula [OH-] = 10^(-pOH). For instance, if the pOH of a solution is 9, the [OH-] would be equal to 10^(-9) = 0.000000001 mol/L.

5. How do you calculate the pH of a strong acid or base?

A strong acid or base is completely dissociated in water, meaning that all of its molecules break apart into ions. For strong acids, the pH can be calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the acid's molar concentration. For strong bases, the pOH can be calculated in the same way, and then the pH can be determined by subtracting the pOH from 14.