PH to ppm with ammonia chart/problem

• Thread starter Moynihan36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ammonia Ph
In summary, the individual is looking for assistance in calculating the appropriate amount of ammonia to add to 50 cubic meters of demineralized water in order to reach a pH level of 11. They have found online that a pH of 11 is equal to 50 mg/L and are using a 25% aqueous ammonia solution. They also ask for a quick reference chart for pH vs mg/L and share that they have found a solution requiring roughly 15 liters after some research. They are directed to a website for help with calculating pH and concentration, and are reminded that the final pH may be different due to the absorption of atmospheric carbon dioxide in industrial settings.
Moynihan36
I need some help calculating basic chemistry. I need to know how much ammonia I need to add to a volume of water to reach the appropriate pH level.

I have 50 cubic meters of demin water that I need to raise to a pH of 11. Volume is not flowing.
I am using aqueous ammonia of 25% solution. I was able to find online that a pH of 11 is equal to 50 mg/L (not 100% sure).

This a two part question:
How do I calculate the concentration of the solution based on the pH?
How do I calculate the required volume to dose the 50 cubic meters to reach the pH of 11?

Also, does anyone have a pH vs mg/L (ppm) in a quick reference chart?

After some research I found some answers and it calculated (roughly) that I need 15 liters.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Even if I believe you, giving a correct answer would be against forum rules.

Start here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-weak-acid-base

While this is about calculating pH for known concentration, information there should help you calculate concentration for a given pH. pKb for ammonia is 4.75

Your ppms are terribly off, surprisingly, your volume is at least in the correct ballpark.

I shouldn't write it - but you can find answer pretty fast using my calculators, BATE & CASC.

One additional note: if it is about demineralized water used in the industrial settings, final pH will be different than just calculated from the ammonia concentration, as solution will absorb atmospheric carbon dioxide - that will lower the pH.

Related to PH to ppm with ammonia chart/problem

1. How do I convert PH to ppm using an ammonia chart?

To convert PH to parts per million (ppm) using an ammonia chart, you will need to know the PH of the solution and the temperature it was measured at. Then, locate the PH on the chart and follow the corresponding line until it intersects with the temperature line. The number at this intersection is the ppm for that solution.

2. What is the purpose of converting PH to ppm with ammonia?

Converting PH to ppm with ammonia is useful for determining the concentration of ammonia in a solution. This can be important in various scientific and industrial applications, such as water quality testing and wastewater treatment.

3. Can I use any ammonia chart to convert PH to ppm?

No, it is important to use an ammonia chart that is specific to the type of ammonia being measured (e.g. free ammonia, total ammonia). Using the wrong chart can result in inaccurate ppm values.

4. How does temperature affect the conversion of PH to ppm with ammonia?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the conversion of PH to ppm with ammonia. This is because ammonia is more soluble in water at higher temperatures, meaning that the same PH level can correspond to different ppm values at different temperatures.

5. Is there a simpler method for converting PH to ppm with ammonia?

Yes, there are several online calculators and apps available that can quickly and accurately convert PH to ppm with ammonia. These tools typically allow you to input the PH and temperature values, and then provide the corresponding ppm value.