PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
Wrichik Basu said:
:bow:

Lol. . .

Physics news on Phys.org
For new gold member, how long is it possible to still edit or delete a message? And does it apply to old messages before you become a member (let's say the edit validity is one month and you wrote messages 2 weeks ago)?

Who are the Mentors that one can request to have particular messages deleted or edited?

lucas_ said:
Who are the Mentors that one can request to have particular messages deleted or edited?
If you need to edit it, you can click the Report link and let them know what you need.

lucas_ said:
For new gold member, how long is it possible to still edit or delete a message?
24 hours, see our help page.
I would expect that it also applies to older posts but with 24 hours that is probably not that important.

If you want to modify an older post report it and describe what should be changed.

Ease-of-use item: preview window is between edit window and edit buttons like "Insert quote". Requires a lot of scrolling when post is substantial. (un-preview button?)

Similarly, top row of edit buttons goes off-screen when post is substantial. (have them at the bottom ?)

Finally: when I compose a reply and go elsewhere to check something, the work is lost when not previewed or saved first. Painful o:).

BvU said:
Finally: when I compose a reply and go elsewhere to check something, the work is lost when not previewed or saved first. Painful o:).
They should be auto saved after a period of time. I forget the number. Anyone?

Greg Bernhardt said:
They should be auto saved after a period of time.
Start of post was at. . .

Looked like first auto save was at. . .

Lol, that was kind of a waste of time, wasn't it ? . :rolleyes: . :-p

Greg Bernhardt said:
They should be auto saved after a period of time. I forget the number. Anyone?
Around 5s. If I finish typing, wait for 5s and go to some other page, and then return, I find the content still there. Less than that, it doesn't always work (works on my laptop, but not on phone, so 5s is the time I think).

I knew you were going to type this. . . . :DD

One hundred ten minutes ago. . . .LMAO

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu
Check your time zone setting then.

jsed said:
Yes, that is almost exactly right, except the bolts are only present on the side nearest us, the bottom of the beam, and the back face of the beam which butts up to the support plate. I tried to put arrows on your drawing to make it more clear
Is posted 8 minutes before the post to which it replies (and which has the drawing) ? Time zones too ?

I am puzzled by the closing of the thread: "What is the best Sci-Fi ever: TV, Movie, and Book".

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I am wondering why the thread was closed. I saw nothing in it that I recognized as being offensive or violating the rules. My curiosity is also aroused since a post I made to the thread before it was closed was removed.

BTW: I tried to send this message as a conversation to a monitor, but that did not work.

Last edited:
Buzz Bloom said:
I am puzzled by the closing of the thread: "What is the best Sci-Fi ever: TV, Movie, and Book".
The thread is 16 years old. Since then we have a few other "favorite" or "best" threads.

Likes berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
weird, it should not collapse to single column until 900px. what tablet are you using?
The Bill said:
Asus P01M. I'm using Chrome version 73.0.3683.75 on Android 5.0.
This still isn't resolved. The mobile version of the main page still only uses one column in portrait orientation on my 1536x2048 screen.

I've been using the site a lot less in the intervening months because of this bug.

Edit: My Chrome version is now 75.0.3770.101, if that matters.

Sorry, @The Bill, I didn't want your post be lost if I add another one, the more as I find it important and the developers should know. However, I have also a question:

Given a thread on the watch list. Could it be, that alerts are only sent once, regardless of how many new posts appeared in the meantime? I've overlooked an important post in the challenge thread, although I normally work through my list of alerts post by post. I think I have observed this a few times: one alert despite there had been more than one new post.

Likes Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Given a thread on the watch list. Could it be, that alerts are only sent once, regardless of how many new posts appeared in the meantime? I've overlooked an important post in the challenge thread, although I normally work through my list of alerts post by post. I think I have observed this a few times: one alert despite there had been more than one new post.
That is the system, if I understand you correctly. Say one of your watched threads receives a reply. If you do not visit the thread and see the reply, no alerts are sent for subsequent replies in that thread. Once you read all the posts marked with "NEW" in that thread, the software again sends you an alert for a new post.

At least this is how it works for us. It could be different for the mentors.

Wrichik Basu said:
That is the system, if I understand you correctly. Say one of your watched threads receives a reply. If you do not visit the thread and see the reply, no alerts are sent for subsequent replies in that thread. Once you read all the posts marked with "NEW" in that thread, the software again sends you an alert for a new post.

At least this is how it works for us. It could be different for the mentors.
It's not different. I only thought that in the old system, each new post had been alerted.

fresh_42 said:
It's not different. I only thought that in the old system, each new post had been alerted.
If I remember correctly, this system was followed in PF4 as well.

One alert for a thread, then nothing until you visit it - that's how I remember it as well. Anyway, I usually use the https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads list (which does it in a similar way).
jim mcnamara said:
See: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ment-interventions-on-patient-outcomes.974500

Summary block does not like html tags. I left them in so you can see. It is a direct quote and needs attribution.
That is not an HTML tag (these are written with < >). It is a BBcode and they don't work in summaries. You can use a more informal style to mark it as quote: Quotation marks or write it like the following line:
> This is a quote

The Bill said:
This still isn't resolved. The mobile version of the main page still only uses one column in portrait orientation on my 1536x2048 screen.
So you are using this resolution on a mobile device?

Greg Bernhardt said:
So you are using this resolution on a mobile device?

Yes, the model of which I re-quoted in the post you just quoted.

The Bill said:
Yes, the model of which I re-quoted in the post you just quoted.
When you say two column, are you referring to the sidebar or the sub forum list on the homepage? In chrome developer tools the sidebar snaps back at 1080.

Greg Bernhardt said:
When you say two column, are you referring to the sidebar or the sub forum list on the homepage?

The sub forum list. They show as a single column in the mobile view at 1536x2048.

Greg Bernhardt said:
When you say two column, are you referring to the sidebar or the sub forum list on the homepage? In chrome developer tools the sidebar snaps back at 1080.

Here's a representative screenshot partway down the front page:

Is there a need to use the mobile version with such a large resolution?

Likes Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
Is there a need to use the mobile version with such a large resolution?
1: The desktop version doesn't feel as good to use as the mobile version on this touchscreen. Especially within threads. The current desktop version on this screen isn't as easy to use as the previous mobile version was.
2: Even if it did, that's still an extra step I'd have to take every time I visit the site. As it is, the "best" workaround involves flopping back and forth between mobile and desktop when going between different parts of the site. And even if I could automate that, it still feels worse to use than the previous version of the site did.

The net effect for me is that I use the site much less than I used to because it's frustrating and disappointing.

I generally like the new version. It's better once I'm in a thread.

I regret explaining myself just now, and I'm not sure why. Oh well. I don't think I'm being rude, so I'll post this anyway in case it serves some purpose.

Alert stuck on

Greg, I get the alert for the Jim Hardy memorial thread and have ever since the thread was posted, and it won't go away. I've clicked on it, reset my browser, etc but it just won't stop showing up (along with any other alerts I get, but they all go away properly). Is it just me or is it that way on purpose for a while?

phinds said:
Alert stuck on
In preferences there are two check boxes:
Alerts pop-up skips mark read
Alerts page skips mark read
If you have both ticked, you seem not to be able to dismiss Greg's announcement alerts.

Workaround is to uncheck one or other, go to the alerts pop up or alerts page (which marks the alert read), then go back to preferences and check the box again if you want.

Ibix said:
In preferences there are two check boxes:
Alerts pop-up skips mark read
Alerts page skips mark read
If you have both ticked, you seem not to be able to dismiss Greg's announcement alerts.
Yes, that was the case. Both were checked.

Workaround is to uncheck one or other, go to the alerts pop up or alerts page (which marks the alert read), then go back to preferences and check the box again if you want.
Excellent. Did the job. Thanks.

I see that in that same post the poster's icon is not clickable the way it should be. Weird.

Hmm... a bug for a Zero day attack?

Tom.G said:
Hmm... a bug for a Zero day attack?
But why that particular post, I wonder.