PF Member Photo Thread Archive

In summary: Some members also made jokes and teased each other. The conversation ended with one member finally sharing his photo and asking the others to go easy on the photoshopping.
  • #1,226
dextercioby said:
I'm not a geek. :approve: I'm not good looking.

Daniel.

Yeah, you're sort of green and wrinkly. :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
Evo said:
SOS, your picture is so tiny, what is the pixel size of the original you were attaching?
I didn't want to post my photo because then you would all know the truth--that I'm a tiny-weenie itsy-bitsy little person. And then sure enough, Evo makes fun of me! :smile: Actually, I'm just standing far, far, away--I look my best at a distance! :smile:

Really I was just kissin' butt and trying to make the file small per instructions--guess I went a little too far with it (I'm still not sure how large I should make this). So I'm trying again. But like I said before, now Tribdog will know it's me who keeps moving his shopping cart at the grocery store. I've noticed he spends a lot of time in the melon section... :confused:

I'll have to change my name sometime though. It was all I could think of in a hurry when I first registered (maybe "PF Addict"? -- I definitely owe Greg a round of drinks!).

Attachments

• SOS PF Photo2.jpg
    SOS PF Photo2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 925
  • #1,228
SOS2008 said:
Really I was just kissin' butt and trying to make the file small per instructions--guess I went a little too far with it (I'm still not sure how large I should make this). So I'm trying again.
Much better! Now I can see you! Beautiful SOS! :approve:

But like I said before, now Tribdog will know it's me who keeps moving his shopping cart at the grocery store. I've noticed he spends a lot of time in the melon section... :confused:
A melon squeezer huh? I always knew it. :smile:

• #1,229
better than a melon thumper.

• #1,230
better than a Charmin-squeezer. :-p

• #1,231
"...yes doctor, I thought I was much better as well. Once the name calling stopped so did the rashes. Then I heard the "C" word and everything came flooding back. The rashes, the night sweats, the urge to commit brutal acts. Oh but it is so squeezably soft, would you like to squeeze it?"

"Thanks for the memories"~B. Hope

• #1,232
tribdog said:
"...yes doctor, I thought I was much better as well. Once the name calling stopped so did the rashes. Then I heard the "C" word and everything came flooding back. The rashes, the night sweats, the urge to commit brutal acts. Oh but it is so squeezably soft, would you like to squeeze it?"

"Thanks for the memories"~B. Hope
I'm sorry, trib. I fought myself from posting that for as long as I could, but temptation got the best of me.

• #1,233
lol from the fun photo booth at the mall today!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,394
  • #1,234
Here is me again

marlon

Attachments

• wie.jpg
    wie.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 688
  • #1,235
Pictures of you need approval, marlon.

• #1,236
arildno said:
Pictures of you need approval, marlon.
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Well, it is going to be a shocker...Just hold on...I know EVO wants to see me first...

marlon

• #1,237
This one is from a few years back...

Der Marlon

Attachments

• wie2.jpg
    wie2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 564
  • #1,238
EVO, please approve my pictures...i know you like my physical appearance...:)

marlon

• #1,239
Thanks

marlon

• #1,240
hypatia said:
lol from the fun photo booth at the mall today!

They still have those?!

• #1,241
yes, and this one had all these neet lights and back grounds. Then it produced a small page of little sticker photos.
You only got one shot, not like the old ones where you could mug up to five different goofy faces.

• #1,242
:!) sos2008 :!)

:smile:

• #1,243
I just got back from a trip and I have some better pictures of me than the ones before (which were crappy mugshots in a tacky orange shirt). Right now I am trying to resize them to fit the PF limit size.

• #1,244
Okay, here are three more. They were taken on a trip to Cypress Gardens for a music festival. Suprisingly it is one of the few times in which my hair isn't too messed up.

If only there were a way to upload music onto PF... eventually ill get a recording of myself playing in a jazz band.

Attachments

• Moutside.JPG
    Moutside.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 406
  • Mbed.JPG
    Mbed.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 711
  • Mbus1.JPG
    Mbus1.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 718
  • #1,245
Really nice cut and background in the last one, Motai!

This is me, last week, talking:

Attachments

• joel_joensuu.JPG
    joel_joensuu.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:
  • #1,246
Joel said:
This is me, last week, talking:
Talking? Looks like you're doing The Robot. :biggrin:
Just funnin' with ya!

hey Motai, nice new pics! :smile:

• #1,247
Ok, I will show me before I grow too old! This picture is from this year 2005 and is me with Iker, the son of my sister
http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=342537

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,248
motai said:
eventually ill get a recording of myself playing in a jazz band.

Jazz band? What do you play?

• #1,249
All you guys are so cute, but you're all such young-uns. I'll have to check the PF rules about being a dirty-ole-woman. :smile:

• #1,250
Chrono said:
Jazz band? What do you play?

B flat clarinet. I am kinda like a Benny Goodman... but a lot worse. I'm the only full-time clarinetist in the high school jazz band. I did manage to pull off Moonlight Serenade though, and that is pretty difficult piece by anyone's standards. As soon as the lazy director can get to putting them on CD, then I should be getting a copy fairly soon. I still can't hit the crazy high notes consistently though.

• #1,251
meteor said:
Ok, I will show me before I grow too old! This picture is from this year 2005 and is me with Iker, the son of my sister
http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=342537

Is it just me, or do guys holding babies look extra cute? (Especially when it isn't their own baby. :rolleyes:) Do you spoil your nephew rotten? You look like the fun kind of uncle. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,252
Grace said:
Currently listening to the Tubes – She's a Beauty, and drinking a glass of wine.

Artist: Tubes

Hey Grace ! That is one cool song, brings back lots of memories :!)

• #1,253
Do you spoil your nephew rotten?
Of course! I have heard a saying that says that happy babies become happy adults. And, well, I thought that I was not very baby-friendly, but now having this "toy" I really have changed my mind and try to pass some time with him. Babies seem so innocent, it's a pity like they become so evil when they grow, like my sister says :devil:
Actually this is the second son of my sister. She is in despair because she wanted to have a daughter, actually she's thinking about adopting one, three boys would be very much!

• #1,254
Well Thought I`d add mine, Qualityies not great but hey I should have got a better phone!

Attachments

• Me2!.jpg
    Me2!.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 761
  • #1,255
motai said:
I did manage to pull off Moonlight Serenade though, and that is pretty difficult piece by anyone's standards...I still can't hit the crazy high notes consistently though.

You might enjoy Channel one suite. My Band is whipping this one into shape for our next cd.
As for the high notes, I have always found its all about supporting the air. Granted, I am a trumpet player, and know next to nothing about clarinets, but i assume the concept is the same.

• #1,256
Viper2838 said:
You might enjoy Channel one suite. My Band is whipping this one into shape for our next cd.
As for the high notes, I have always found its all about supporting the air. Granted, I am a trumpet player, and know next to nothing about clarinets, but i assume the concept is the same.

Hm, its not so much the air as the sound quality, because the volume of the air (as well as the embochure) mainly just affects the pitch, hence the tuning, of those notes. That and it is very difficult to get used to fingering those notes, in that register things lose consistency and cross-fingering is needed, and cross-fingering by itself is awkward to get used to (just look at the altissimo range fingering chart for a clarinet ).

It is all too easy to hit a high note up there (from above-staff D to sixth-octave C) and bend/warp the pitch, which is pretty unusual for a woodwind instrument. Needless to say, it is much more difficult than pumping air into the instrument. In fact, if too much air is put into the instrument, not only will the note go horribly out of tune, but the reed will close in on the mouthpiece, giving a weak and pulsated tone. Unlike the trumpet, where the air has to flow entirely through the instrument, these high notes on the clarinet go through a very very small section of the instrument (mouthpiece, barrel, and a few pads down the midsection) so embouchure takes precedence over air volume. This isn't to say that sustaining airflow isn't important (it is just to get the note out) but it isn't the deciding factor in determining the quality of the tone. Even a slight variation in embouchure style can completely change the tone of the instrument.

Its also hard to practice those notes.. they all sound horrible unless a band is supporting the clarinetist from the bottom. I can't stand myself playing them on my own.

Its probably why jazz clarinets are becoming more rare, its pretty tough to do. That, and there isn't much music out there anymore. I have to read off the tenor sax part, and oftentimes I have to take that up an octave so I can even be heard (and even then I am in the range of the trumpets). Provided that the lower-register clarinet sound can be heard in a jazz band (microphone is a must), it adds a really nice tone to the slower waltzes.

Oh, btw, good luck with the cd. Always good to have a recording around.

Last edited:
  • #1,257
Viper2838 said:

I love playing Channel One Suite. Godly fun.

Ever heard Buddy Rich's band's recording of it? Greatness.

• #1,258
motai said:
That and it is very difficult to get used to fingering those notes, in that register things lose consistency and cross-fingering is needed, and cross-fingering by itself is awkward to get used to (just look at the altissimo range fingering chart for a clarinet ).
Yer, and then you run across a break in a run before going up high again. :smile:

motai said:
It is all too easy to hit a high note ... ... in embouchure style can completely change the tone of the instrument.
Agreed but support from the diaphragm is still needed.

motai said:
Its probably why jazz clarinets are becoming more rare, its pretty tough to do. That, and there isn't much music out there anymore. I have to read off the tenor sax part, and oftentimes I have to take that up an octave so I can even be heard (and even then I am in the range of the trumpets). Provided that the lower-register clarinet sound can be heard in a jazz band (microphone is a must), it adds a really nice tone to the slower waltzes.
Well being a cornet/trumpet player myself I am not going to say anything but with Jazz you need to forget this problem and play louder. A clarinet will never match a trumpet but in the right range it can be hear and still sound great (unless you have some people that play above Top C :rolleyes:).

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #1,259
franznietzsche said:
I love playing Channel One Suite. Godly fun.

Ever heard Buddy Rich's band's recording of it? Greatness.

Buddy Rich is AMAZING! I love that version of Channel One so much. Right now, its my second favorite chart in our book. It just barely takes the backseat to Don Menza's Time Check. Boy that chart can fly. There's nothing better for a jazz trumpeter than a fast, high song :approve:.

• #1,260
Here's a more recent picture.
This was taken two weeks ago on our yearly prom.
I'm on the left. The guy in the middle is a Civil Engineering major, and also sits on the VUB board. The girl on the right is a Com Science major, and is vice-president of the social council this year.

Attachments

• fotoklein.jpg
    fotoklein.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 815