Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation

In summary: The vacuum energy density is the total energy in the vacuum. It is an additive constant, but it is not measurable.
IRobot
Hi,

I am learning QFT in the Peskin/Schroeder book and I found 4.56 on page 98 really weird, it is:
[tex]\rho_{vaccum\: energy\: density} = \frac{i\sum_{all\: disconnected\: diagramms}amplitude}{(2\pi)^4\delta^{(4)}(0)}[/tex]

The authors do not comment really this result, but could someone tell me at least if this is finite, calculable, ...Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
IRobot said:
Hi,

I am learning QFT in the Peskin/Schroeder book and I found 4.56 on page 98 really weird, it is:
[tex]\rho_{vaccum\: energy\: density} = \frac{i\sum_{all\: disconnected\: diagramms}amplitude}{(2\pi)^4\delta^{(4)}(0)}[/tex]

The authors do not comment really this result, but could someone tell me at least if this is finite, calculable, ...

Thank you.

I recognize the [tex]2\pi^4\delta^{4}(0)}[/tex] term. This term comes from a quantum field amplitude equation, usually seen in this form : [tex]2\pi^4\delta^{4}(p-p)}[/tex]. It's maybe not surprising as the energy density of the vacuum is also measured similarly.

He is equating the exponents on 4.55, and using what he discusses in 4.49

IRobot said:
Hi,

The authors do not comment really this result, but could someone tell me at least if this is finite, calculable, ...

Thank you.

I'm not sure I understand the result either. To me it would make more sense if all the diagrams are connected. Also I'm a bit unsure about factors of the imaginary number 'i', but those always get me.

Basically the path integral is e-iHt, and the amplitude is exp[i*connected diagrams without sources], so setting the argument of the exponentials equal and setting VT=(2pi)4 delta4(0) should give a result that look similar, except with connected diagrams and not disconnected ones.

byzheng said:
He is equating the exponents on 4.55, and using what he discusses in 4.49

Does he use connected diagrams or disconnected ones? I don't have a copy of Peskin and Schroeder and my library doesn't have it so I can't look it up.

Actually your plain old e(-iS) gives only diagrams without endpoints; i.e. if you were to associate particles with these diagrams, you would see nothing turning into something back into nothing. These are typically called vacuum bubbles, and their sum represents the vacuum(or ground state) energy E0(peskin uses 'disconnected diagrams' in place of vacuum bubbles). He is dividing by the delta function because from his delta function normalization(discussed in 4.49) the delta(0) factor represents the volume of space(up to 2 pis).

Last edited:
byzheng said:
Actually your plain old e(-iS) gives only diagrams without endpoints; i.e. if you were to associate particles with these diagrams, you would see nothing turning into something back into nothing. These are typically called vacuum bubbles, and their sum represents the vacuum(or ground state) energy E0(peskin uses 'disconnected diagrams' in place of vacuum bubbles). He is dividing by the delta function because from his delta function normalization(discussed in 4.49) the delta(0) factor represents the volume of space(up to 2 pis).

Does Peskin use e(-iS), or e(iS)?

I think I see what you mean. In the path integral you usually have:

[tex] e^{-iS+\int J\phi d^4x} [/tex]

So now you are setting J=0.

Still, you can have J=0 diagrams that are the product of other J=0 diagrams. For example, you can have two bubbles side by side, unconnected to each other. I don't think you should count those diagrams in the formula for the vacuum energy density, but I'm not sure.

Also, what is the meaning of the vacuum energy density? Isn't an additive constant to the energy not only arbitrary, but also unmeasurable?

Related to Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation

What is the Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation?

The Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation is a mathematical formulation used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of particles and fields at a subatomic level.

Who discovered the Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation?

The equation was first proposed by physicists Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder in their book "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" published in 1995.

What is the significance of the Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation?

The Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles and fields in quantum field theory, which is essential for understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

How is the Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation used in research?

The equation is used in research to make predictions about the behavior of particles and fields in various physical systems, and to test the validity of various theories in quantum field theory.

What are the challenges in solving the Peskin Schroeder Enigmatic Equation?

The equation is notoriously difficult to solve analytically, and often requires the use of numerical methods. Additionally, the equation is only applicable to certain physical systems and cannot be used to describe all phenomena in quantum field theory.