S matrix Unitarity Proof, pg 298 Peskin Schroeder

In summary: M}^{\ast\nu})P_0. Note that we can now remove the projection operators as they are just matrices and do not affect the result.Step 5: Finally, we can write the S matrix as S = P_0S_{FP}P_0. Therefore, SS^\dagger = P_0S_{FP}P_0S_{FP}^\dagger P_0. Since the general S matrix, S_{FP}, is unitary, we can replace S_{FP}S_{FP}^\dagger with the identity matrix. This gives us SS^\dagger = P_0S_{FP}S_{FP}^\dagger P_
nickodel4
I have a question regarding a derivation in Peskin and Schroeder's QFT book. On page 298, he is discussing a method for defining a gauge invariant S matrix. He does this by defining projection operators ##P_0## that project general particle states into gauge invariant states, and then defining an S matrix as [tex]S = P_0S_{FP}P_0,\tag{9.59}[/tex] where ##S_{FP}## is the general S matrix between general states. This S matrix is therefore by definition gauge invariant, but now its unitarity can be questioned. He "proves" that this new ##S## matrix is unitary first by stating that [tex]\sum_{i=1,2}\epsilon^\ast_{i\mu}\epsilon_{i\nu}\mathcal{M}^\mu\mathcal{M}^{\ast\nu} = -g_{\mu\nu}\mathcal{M}^\mu\mathcal{M}^{\ast\nu},\tag{9.60}[/tex] where the sum runs over only transverse polarization states. He also points out that this identity holds true even if the two amplitudes are distinct. He claims that this is the exact information we need to prove the following [tex]SS^\dagger = P_0S_{FP}P_0S_{FP}^\dagger P_0 = P_0S_{FP}S_{FP}^\dagger P_0.\tag{9.61}[/tex] From here it is easy to see that, on the subspace of gauge invariant states, this is equal to the identity, because the ##S_{FP}## matix is unitary. However, I do not see the relation between equations 9.60 and 9.61, or how he uses 9.60 to justify the second step in the 9.61. The only clue I can see is that the sum in 9.60 is a result of using the LHZ formalism to go from correlation functions to S matrix elements, where polarizations must be summed over. But I am at a loss from there. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the derivation in Peskin and Schroeder's QFT book. I can certainly understand your confusion and will do my best to clarify the steps involved in the proof.

Firstly, I would like to point out that the key idea behind this derivation is to show that the gauge invariant S matrix, defined as S = P_0S_{FP}P_0, is unitary. This can be done by proving that SS^\dagger = I, where I is the identity matrix.

Now, let's break down the steps involved in the proof:

Step 1: Using the LHZ formalism, we can write the correlation function as \langle \psi_1 \psi_2 \rangle = \sum_{i=1,2}\epsilon^\ast_{i\mu}\epsilon_{i\nu}\mathcal{M}^\mu\mathcal{M}^{\ast\nu}, where \psi_1 and \psi_2 are general particle states and \epsilon_{i\mu} are the polarization vectors for the two particles. Note that the sum runs over only transverse polarization states, as mentioned in equation (9.60).

Step 2: Using equation (9.60), we can rewrite the correlation function as \langle \psi_1 \psi_2 \rangle = -g_{\mu\nu}\mathcal{M}^\mu\mathcal{M}^{\ast\nu}. This is a key step in the proof, as it shows that the correlation function is independent of the polarization vectors \epsilon_{i\mu}.

Step 3: Now, let's consider the S matrix element between two gauge invariant states, \langle \psi_1^{GI} \psi_2^{GI} \rangle. Using the definition of the gauge invariant S matrix, we can write this as \langle \psi_1^{GI} \psi_2^{GI} \rangle = P_0\langle \psi_1 \psi_2 \rangle P_0. This is because the projection operator P_0 projects general particle states into gauge invariant states.

Step 4: Using the result from step 2, we can rewrite the S matrix element as \langle \psi_1^{GI} \psi_2^{GI} \rangle = P_0(-g_{\mu\nu}\mathcal{M}

Related to S matrix Unitarity Proof, pg 298 Peskin Schroeder

1. What is the S matrix Unitarity Proof?

The S matrix Unitarity Proof is a mathematical proof used in quantum field theory to show that the S matrix, which describes the scattering amplitudes of particles, is unitary. This means that the total probability of all possible outcomes of a scattering process must add up to 1.

2. Why is the S matrix Unitarity Proof important?

The S matrix Unitarity Proof is important because it provides a rigorous mathematical justification for the unitarity of the S matrix. This is a fundamental property that must hold in any physical theory, and it allows us to make predictions about the outcomes of particle scattering experiments.

3. How does the S matrix Unitarity Proof work?

The S matrix Unitarity Proof involves using the properties of the S matrix, such as Hermiticity and unitarity, to derive a set of equations that must hold for all possible scattering processes. These equations are then solved to show that the S matrix is indeed unitary.

4. What are some applications of the S matrix Unitarity Proof?

The S matrix Unitarity Proof is used extensively in high energy physics, where it is used to calculate the probabilities of various particle interactions. It is also used in the development of new theories and models in quantum field theory.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to the S matrix Unitarity Proof?

One challenge of the S matrix Unitarity Proof is that it relies on certain assumptions and approximations, which may not hold in all cases. Additionally, the proof can become more complicated and difficult to apply in more complex systems with multiple particles and interactions.