Perturbation Theory: Calculating Ground State Eigenfunction of Particle in a Box

In summary, the theory states that you should use all the eigenvectors associated to eigenvalues different from the one you want to compute first order corrections. When doing this, you should use the vectors \{u_{01},u_{02},u_{03}\} instead of only using the three vectors u_{11},u_{12},u_{13}. If the products of eigenfunctions are odd, then the corrections to the eigenvector are identically null.
danja347
I have a problem where I should calculate the ground state eigenfunction of a particle in the box where the potential V(x)=0 when 0<x<L and infinite everywhere else with the perturbation [itex]V'(x)=\epsilon[/itex] when L/3<x<2L/3.

I get that the total ground state eigenfunction with the first order perturbation contribution is
[tex]
u_{1}=u_{01}+{\int_{L/3}^{2L/3} {u_{02}\hat H' u_{01}dx} \over (E_{01}-E_{02})}u_{02}+{\int_{L/3}^{2L/3} {u_{03}\hat H' u_{01}dx} \over (E_{01}-E_{03})}u_{03}
[/tex]
where
[itex]
\hat H'=\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]u_{0n}/E_{0n}=[/itex] eigenfunctions/energies of the unperturbed system.
I only need to use [itex]\{u_{01},u_{02},u_{03}\}[/itex] instead of all [itex]\{u_{0n}\}[/itex] when expressing the first order perturbation contribution
[tex]u_{11}=\sum_k a_{nk}u_{0k}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danja347 said:
I have a problem where I should calculate the ground state eigenfunction of a particle in the box where the potential V(x)=0 when 0<x<L and infinite everywhere else with the perturbation [itex]V'(x)=\epsilon[/itex] when L/3<x<2L/3.

I get that the total ground state eigenfunction with the first order perturbation contribution is
[tex]
u_{1}=u_{01}+{\int_{L/3}^{2L/3} {u_{02}\hat H' u_{01}dx} \over (E_{01}-E_{02})}u_{02}+{\int_{L/3}^{2L/3} {u_{03}\hat H' u_{01}dx} \over (E_{01}-E_{03})}u_{03}
[/tex]
where
[itex]
\hat H'=\epsilon}[/itex] and [itex]u_{0n}/E_{0n}=[/itex] eigenfunctions/energies of the unperturbed system.
I only need to use [itex]\{u_{01},u_{02},u_{03}\}[/itex] instead of all [itex]\{u_{0n}\}[/itex] when expressing the first order perturbation contribution
[tex]u_{11}=\sum_k a_{nk}u_{0k}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Why do you use only the three vectors [itex] \{u_{01},u_{02},u_{03}\}[/itex],when the theory states u should be using all the eigenvectors associated to eigenvalues different from the one (nondegenerate) u want to compute first orde corrections?

Daniel.

It is just an approximation and the only way I can think of an explanation to why the problem i´m supposed to solve says i only need to use these three is that they contribute most to the correction...

Daniel

Last edited:
On the other hand... how should i do if i needed to use all [itex]\{u_{0n}\}[/itex] How would i get [itex]a_{nk}[/itex] in that case? Please tell me if what i have got for [itex]u_1[/itex] above is correct because then i know if its me that can't integrate because i get that the integrals are zero or if i have set it all up wrong!?

Daniel

Yes,the theory states that those vectors (corresponding to different energy levels) are orthogonal,and since the perturbation is a constant,then all its matrix elements between orthogonal states should annulate.
On the other hand,are u sure with the integrations??There are products of sine/cosine functions.Only in certain conditions they annulate.And besides,the eigenfunctions are orthonormalized on the domain [0,L],and yet you're integrating them on a simmetric domain wrt to the middle of the interval L/2.So if that product of eigenfunctions is an odd function,then u shouldn't be surprised the result is zero.
Check whether the products of eigenfunctions are odd.If so,the result is that the corrections to the eigenvector are identically null.

I calculated the integrations again and only one of them was equal to zero.
That looks a lot better since it would be strange if the eigenfunction didn´t change when adding the disturbance!

Thanks!

/Daniel

Related to Perturbation Theory: Calculating Ground State Eigenfunction of Particle in a Box

What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate the solutions to complex problems by breaking them down into simpler, solvable components.

How does perturbation theory apply to calculating the ground state eigenfunction of a particle in a box?

In this context, perturbation theory is used to approximate the wavefunction of a particle in a box by taking into account small perturbations, such as external forces or interactions with other particles.

Why is perturbation theory useful in quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory allows us to solve complex quantum mechanical problems that would otherwise be impossible to solve analytically. It also provides a way to analyze the effects of small perturbations on the overall system.

What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is only applicable to systems with small perturbations, and its accuracy decreases as the perturbations become larger. It also assumes that the perturbations are independent, which may not always be the case.

Are there alternative methods to calculating the ground state eigenfunction of a particle in a box?

Yes, there are other methods such as numerical techniques or variational methods, which may be more accurate for certain systems. However, perturbation theory is a valuable tool for gaining insight into the behavior of quantum mechanical systems.