Perturbation theory and the secualr equation for double degeneration

In summary, to find the values of $e^{i\alpha_1}$ and $e^{i\alpha_2}$ from the given equations, we can use the equation $e^{i(\alpha_1 - \alpha_2)} = \frac{V_{21}}{|V_{12}|}$ to calculate the difference between the phases, and then use that to calculate the values of $e^{i\alpha_1}$ and $e^{i\alpha_2}$.
mcas
Homework Statement
Determine the correction to the eigenvalue in the first approximation and the correct functions in the zeroth approximation, for a doubly degenerate level.
Relevant Equations
##det|V_{nn'}-E^{(1)}\delta_{nn'}|=0##
##\sum_{n'} (V_{nn'}-E^{(1)}\delta_{nn'})c_{n'}^{(0)}##
I've been assigned to do a problem from Landau which you can read below:

1b3Yk.png

I have no problem with finding the energy. Then I write down the equations:
\begin{equation*}
\begin{cases}
(V_{11}-E^{(1)})|c_1|e^{i\alpha_1} + V_{21}e^{i\alpha_2}|c_2| = 0\\
V_{12}e^{i\alpha_1}|c_1| + (V_{22}-E^{(1)})|c_2|e^{i\alpha_2} = 0
\end{cases}
\end{equation*}

\begin{equation*}
\begin{cases}
(V_{11}-E^{(1)})|c_1|e^{i\alpha_1} = V_{21}e^{i\alpha_2}|c_2|\\
V_{12}e^{i\alpha_1}|c_1| = (V_{22}-E^{(1)})|c_2|e^{i\alpha_2}
\end{cases}
\end{equation*}
There is no negative sign because I will include it in phases as ##e^{i\pi}##.
Because ##V_{21}=V_{12}^*##, I can write:
\begin{equation*}
\begin{cases}
V_{21}=|V_{12}| e^{i \phi_{21}} = |V_{12}| e^{-i \phi_{12}}\\
V_{12}=|V_{12}| e^{i \phi_{12}}
\end{cases}
\end{equation*} We have to find phases ##e^{i\alpha_1}## and ##e^{i\alpha_2}##. Complex numbers are equal when their phases and modules are respectively equal. I have no problem with finding the modules. However, phases are a completely different thing.
So for phases we have:

\begin{equation*}
\begin{cases}
e^{i\alpha_1} = e^{i\pi} e^{i\phi_{21}}e^{i\alpha_2}\\
e^{i\pi} e^{i\phi_{12}}e^{i\alpha_1} = e^{i\alpha_2}
\end{cases}
\end{equation*}

Which can be written as:
\begin{equation*}
\begin{cases}
e^{i(\alpha_1 - \alpha_2)} = e^{i\pi} e^{i\phi_{21}}\\
e^{i(\alpha_1 - \alpha_2)} = e^{-i\pi} e^{-i\phi_{12}} = e^{-i\pi} e^{i\phi_{21}}
\end{cases}
\end{equation*}

Multiplying by each side:
\begin{equation*}
e^{i2(\alpha_1 - \alpha_2)} = e^{i2\phi_{21}}
\end{equation*}
\begin{equation*}
e^{i(\alpha_1 - \alpha_2)} = e^{i\phi_{21}} = \frac{V_{21}}{|V_{12}|}
\end{equation*}

I don't know how to find the phases ##e^{i\alpha_1}## and ##e^{i\alpha_2}##. I can see from the solution that ##e^{i\alpha 1} = \frac{V_{12}}{|V_{12}|}## and ##e^{i\alpha 2}=\frac{V_{21}}{|V_{12}|}## but how to obtain it from the equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help is appreciated.The answer to your question lies in the equation you derived:$$e^{i(\alpha_1 - \alpha_2)} = \frac{V_{21}}{|V_{12}|}$$This equation tells us that the difference between the phases is equal to the ratio of $V_{21}$ to $|V_{12}|$. Now, if we know one of these phases, we can use this equation to calculate the other.Let's say we know $\alpha_1$. Then we can calculate $\alpha_2$ using the equation above:$$\alpha_2 = \alpha_1 - \phi_{21}$$where $\phi_{21}$ is the phase of $V_{21}$. Similarly, if we know $\alpha_2$, then we can calculate $\alpha_1$ using the equation:$$\alpha_1 = \alpha_2 + \phi_{21}$$Once we know the phases, we can calculate the values of $e^{i\alpha_1}$ and $e^{i\alpha_2}$:$$e^{i\alpha_1} = e^{i\alpha_2 + \phi_{21}}$$$$e^{i\alpha_2} = e^{i\alpha_1 - \phi_{21}}$$

Related to Perturbation theory and the secualr equation for double degeneration

1. What is perturbation theory and how is it used in physics?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly. In physics, it is often used to study systems that are slightly different from well-understood systems, allowing for small changes in the equations that describe them. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where it can be used to analyze the behavior of particles in a potential that is not exactly known.

2. What is the secular equation and how is it related to perturbation theory?

The secular equation is a polynomial equation that is used to find the eigenvalues (or energy levels) of a perturbed system. It is derived from the perturbation theory equations and allows for the calculation of the energy levels of a system that has been slightly altered from a known system.

3. What is double degeneracy and how does it affect the secular equation?

Double degeneracy occurs when two or more energy levels of a system have the same energy value. This can happen in systems with symmetries or in systems with multiple particles. In the secular equation, double degeneracy results in multiple solutions for the energy levels, making it more complex to solve.

4. How is the secular equation solved for systems with double degeneracy?

When the secular equation has multiple solutions due to double degeneracy, it is typically solved using a method called diagonalization. This involves finding a transformation matrix that can diagonalize the secular equation, allowing for the calculation of the energy levels. This process can be quite complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of perturbation theory and the secular equation for double degeneracy?

Perturbation theory and the secular equation have many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. They are used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. They are also used in fields such as solid state physics, where they can be used to understand the properties of materials. In addition, perturbation theory is used in many areas of engineering, such as in the design of electronic circuits and control systems.