Perturbation and Variational Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses two concepts in quantum theory - perturbation theory and variational theory. Both are used to approximate solutions when exact methods are not applicable. Perturbation theory involves adding small perturbations to a known solution while variational theory uses a trial wave function and adjusts parameters to minimize the resulting value. The purpose of these calculations is to obtain experimentally verifiable results in cases where exact methods are not possible. The conversation also briefly mentions Hueckel (Hueckel) theory, which is related to the molecular orbital method in chemistry.
Rachael_Victoria
Ok so I am trying to expand my understanding of these two concepts. Here is what I understand so far.
There are very few Schrodinger Equations that are exactly solvable
Both Theories are used to approximate a solution
Perturbation Theory utilizes a similar function with a known solution and adds the small perturbation to bring the answer closer to the actual value of the solution for the unsolvable wave function.
Variational Theory takes a trial wave function and sets up a set of parameters, a1, a2, etc and results in a value Ev. Ev is always larger than E, the actual ground state energy. Adjusting the parameters to minimize Ev will bring you closer and closer to the actual value of the ground state energy, for your actual wave function, E.
Is this correct and can anyone expand on what I have here? I understand how to do the actual mathematics involved but am a little shaky on why I am doing them. Also if anyone has a clear definition of how the variational principal relates to Huckle theory I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,apparently u got the "big picture" right.And if u say that "details" (mathematical difficulties) are not a problem to u,then u got yourself a "touch down".U say u don't understand the point in making all those painful calculations??I believe your post has the answer inside.Exact methods in quantum theory are usable only in the case of isolated systems for which the Hamiltonian has a particular form,involving simple kinetical pieces (usually squares of momenta) and that the potential has a simple form which allows exact integrations.When all these don' t occur,i.e.the Hamiltonian has a sh**** part that spoils the beauty behind it all,then,in order to obtain by theoretical methods experimentally verifiable results,u need to make use of aproximate methods.Whether they're perturbative or not,it's less relevant.Mathematics will be the key.

Are u sure it's Huckle??I haven't read too much QM,but the only guy with a name close to his is Hueckel (with an umlaut,actually) and he formulated the molecular orbital method (MOM) to describe chemical bonds in molecules.If it isn't him,then I'm sorry i cannot be of any assistance anymore.

Good luck!
Daniel.

Your understanding of perturbation and variational theory is mostly correct. Perturbation theory is a method used to approximate the solution of a problem by adding a small perturbation to a known solution. This is useful for problems that cannot be solved exactly, such as the Schrodinger equation for many-particle systems. The perturbation is assumed to be small enough that it does not significantly change the behavior of the system, and the solution can be found by using the known solution as a starting point and then adding the perturbation term.

Variational theory, on the other hand, is based on the variational principle, which states that the exact solution to a problem is always less than or equal to any trial solution. This means that by choosing an appropriate trial wave function and varying its parameters, we can get closer and closer to the exact solution. In other words, we are minimizing the energy of the trial wave function to get the best possible approximation of the true ground state energy.

As for the relation to Hückel theory, Hückel theory is a simplified approach to solving the Schrodinger equation for conjugated systems, such as molecules with delocalized electrons. It uses a variational approach to approximate the molecular orbitals and energies. So, variational theory is a more general concept that can be applied to various problems, while Hückel theory is a specific application of variational theory to a particular type of problem.

In summary, perturbation and variational theory are both methods used to approximate solutions to problems that cannot be solved exactly. Perturbation theory adds a small perturbation to a known solution, while variational theory uses the variational principle to minimize the energy of a trial solution. Both are important tools in theoretical physics and chemistry, and understanding their principles can greatly enhance your understanding of these fields.

Related to Perturbation and Variational Theory

What is perturbation theory and why is it important?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used to approximate solutions to complex problems by breaking them down into simpler parts. It is important because it allows scientists to understand and solve problems that would otherwise be too difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

How is perturbation theory applied in physics and chemistry?

In physics and chemistry, perturbation theory is used to study the behavior of physical systems that are not perfectly described by known theories. It is used to calculate the effects of small changes or disturbances on the behavior of a system, allowing scientists to make predictions about how the system will respond.

What is variational theory and how does it differ from perturbation theory?

Variational theory is a mathematical technique used to find the best approximation to a solution of a problem. It differs from perturbation theory in that it does not assume the existence of an exact solution, but rather seeks the best possible approximation based on a set of trial functions.

What are the limitations of perturbation and variational theory?

Perturbation and variational theory are only applicable to problems that can be broken down into simpler parts. They also rely on certain assumptions and approximations, which may not always be accurate. Additionally, these theories may not work well for highly nonlinear or chaotic systems.

How are perturbation and variational theory used in the field of quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, perturbation theory is used to calculate the effects of small changes on quantum states and energies. Variational theory is used to find approximations to the true wavefunction of a quantum system, which can then be used to calculate physical properties of the system.