Perseid Stragglers: Clear Sky, 10-20 Fiery Trails/Hr

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed observations of meteors and light pollution. The speaker expressed interest in watching the night sky but was unable to due to work and light pollution. They hope to have the opportunity to observe the night sky with minimal light pollution in the future.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
"Oh-dark-thirty" MDT: clear sky, and 10-20 fiery trails an hour. If you're still up and it's clear where you are, give it a watch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I saw one meteor the other night but that was it. I'll have to look closer.

I've been stuck here at work on nights for the past week. On top of that, even though I can go outside, there's so much light pollution (chemical process unit) that the only objects visible are the moon, Venus, and Jupiter. On top of that I've been going outside all night and the clouds are JUST NOW starting to break up (3 AM).

I'm off tomorrow night and where I live there is minimal light pollution, so I just have to hope for clear skies.

Related to Perseid Stragglers: Clear Sky, 10-20 Fiery Trails/Hr

What are Perseid Stragglers?

Perseid Stragglers are a type of meteor shower that occurs every August. They are known for their bright and fiery trails that can be seen streaking across the night sky. These meteors are debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet entering the Earth's atmosphere.

When can I see Perseid Stragglers?

Perseid Stragglers can typically be seen every year from mid-July to late August, with the peak occurring around August 12th. During this time, the Earth passes through the debris left behind by the Swift-Tuttle comet, causing an increase in meteor activity.

How many meteors can I expect to see per hour during the Perseid Stragglers meteor shower?

On a clear night, you can expect to see an average of 10-20 fiery trails per hour during the Perseid Stragglers meteor shower. However, this number can vary depending on the location and time of viewing, as well as weather conditions.

Do I need any special equipment to view Perseid Stragglers?

No special equipment is needed to view Perseid Stragglers. These meteors can be seen with the naked eye, and it is recommended to view them in a dark, open area away from city lights for the best visibility.

Why are they called "stragglers"?

Perseid Stragglers are given this name because they are the smaller and slower-moving debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet. They are considered the "leftovers" or stragglers of the main Perseid meteor shower, which occurs a few weeks earlier and has a higher rate of meteors per hour.