Perpendicular wires carrying current, torque

In summary, the problem involves two perpendicular wires carrying currents I_1 and I_2, with lengths L_1 and L_2 respectively. The task is to find the torque on each wire. To do this, the magnetic field and force must be calculated. The distance between the wires can be assumed to be d or 1m, and the magnetic field due to a current carrying wire can be used to find the force. The fact that the wires are infinitely thin does not affect the calculations.
caimzzz

Homework Statement

Two thin wires of length [tex] L_1, L_2 [/tex] were placed perpendicular to each other in half of their lengths. Wires are carrying current [tex] I_1[/tex] and [tex] I_2. [/tex] Find the torque on each of those wires.

Homework Equations

[tex] \tau = \mu \times B = r \times F [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the force I need the magnetic field, which I don't really know how to calculate in this problem. Calculating the magnetic dipole moment would require surface area, which I guess is zero(wires are infinitely thin) so it's a dead end. In parallel lines problem I could calculate magnetic field and force easily in any point in space, but I guess I can't really do that here because there is no distance between the wires. Where should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello zzz and welcome to PF.

Re distance:
The thing to do is not to let that lack of info stop you: call this distance d, or use 1 m to begin with, whatever. Perhaps it cancels later on...

Re μ: doesn't appear , so I don't know what it stands for here ;)

Re: magnetic field: you should be able to find something on the magnetic field due to a current carrying wire...(If you can for parallel wires, you can also do it for perpendicular ones: B fields simply add up -- and wire 2 only "feels" the field from 1 anyway)

(By the same token as the distance: B field of infinitley long wire to begin with: what changes (strength, direction) if length is finite...)

Related to Perpendicular wires carrying current, torque

1. What is torque in relation to perpendicular wires carrying current?

Torque is a measure of rotational force, and in the context of perpendicular wires carrying current, it refers to the force that is exerted on the wires when they are placed at a right angle to each other and current is flowing through them.

2. How is torque calculated in this scenario?

The torque produced by perpendicular wires carrying current can be calculated using the formula τ = IABsinθ, where τ is the torque, I is the current, A is the length of the wire, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the two wires.

3. What is the significance of the angle between the wires in this situation?

The angle between the wires is important because it determines the direction and magnitude of the torque. If the wires are parallel, there will be no torque, but if they are perpendicular, the torque will be at its maximum.

4. Can torque be controlled in this scenario?

Yes, torque can be controlled by adjusting the angle between the wires or by changing the current or magnetic field strength. By manipulating these variables, the amount of torque produced can be increased or decreased as needed.

5. What are some practical applications of perpendicular wires carrying current and torque?

Perpendicular wires carrying current and torque have various applications in the field of electromagnetics. They are commonly used in electric motors, generators, and other devices that involve rotational motion. They are also utilized in scientific experiments and demonstrations to illustrate the effects of electromagnetic forces.