Permutations in rotations and reflections

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of rotations and reflections as permutations and the calculation of their composition. This is then linked to the concept of symmetry and the final expression should represent a symmetry of the regular pentagon. The process involves determining the permutations for each operation and then multiplying them in the specified order.
cat.inthe.hat
Hi all, I've been having difficulty with the following question.

Let P be a regular pentagon. Let R be the rotation of P by 72degrees anticlockwise and let F be the reflection of P in the vertical line of symmetry. Represent R and F by permutations and hence calculate: F R^2 F R F^3 R^3 F, expressing this first as a permutation and then as a symmetry of P.I think I've correctly worked out R as the cycle (15432) and F = (25)(34). I've written these as permutations however, I don't understand how to do the calculation asked for and what it means by 'expressing as a symmetry of P'.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation is just the composition of the R and F permutations, in the specified order. In your case, you first rotate counterclockwise by 72 degrees (F), then reflect three times (here, you may use the fact that R2=I, where I is the identity), then rotate again by 3x72 degrees, etc.

The final expression should express a symmetry.

JSuarez said:
The calculation is just the composition of the R and F permutations, in the specified order. In your case, you first rotate counterclockwise by 72 degrees (F), then reflect three times (here, you may use the fact that R2=I, where I is the identity), then rotate again by 3x72 degrees, etc.

The final expression should express a symmetry.

So, I should work out the permutations for F, R^2, ... etc. and then multiply them all in the order stated. Is this what you're saying? (Sorry I didn't quite understand).

Yes, that's pretty much it.

JSuarez said:
Yes, that's pretty much it.

Ok, thank you. =)

Related to Permutations in rotations and reflections

1. What is a permutation in rotations and reflections?

A permutation in rotations and reflections is a rearrangement of objects or elements in a specific order. In this context, it refers to the different ways in which an object can be rotated or reflected.

2. How are permutations in rotations and reflections used in science?

Permutations in rotations and reflections are commonly used in crystallography, a branch of science that studies the arrangement of atoms in crystals. By understanding the different permutations of rotations and reflections, scientists can determine the structure and properties of crystals.

3. What is the difference between a rotation and a reflection?

A rotation involves turning an object around a fixed point, whereas a reflection involves flipping an object over a line. Both rotations and reflections can result in different permutations, depending on the angle or axis of rotation/reflection.

4. Can there be multiple permutations for a single rotation or reflection?

Yes, there can be multiple permutations for a single rotation or reflection. This is because the angle or axis of rotation/reflection can vary, resulting in different orientations of the object.

5. How are permutations in rotations and reflections related to symmetry?

Permutations in rotations and reflections are closely related to symmetry, as they both involve transformations that preserve the shape and structure of an object. In fact, the study of permutations in rotations and reflections is often used to identify and classify different types of symmetries in objects.