Permutations and Transpositions

In summary, the conversation discusses the factorization of Δ in terms of x_p-x_q and the confusion regarding its occurrence only once. It is explained that this is due to the definition of the product taken over pairs where i<j. A potential proof is presented to show that Δ cannot contain (x_p-x_q) more than once.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Attached are some screen shots of portion of the textbook I'm currently working through:
Capture.PNG
Capture'.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question, why exactly can't ##\Delta## contains ##x_p - x_q## only once (note, switched from ##i,j## to ##p,q##)? As you can see, the author didn't give many very details concerning this. Clearly ##\Delta## can also be written ##\Delta = \prod_{(i,j) \in S} (x_i - x_j)##, where ##S = \{(i,j) ~|~ 1 \le i < j \le n \}##. Since sets don't contain duplicates of elements, ##S## won't contain any pair ##(p,q)## twice, implying that ##x_p - x_q## won't appear in ##\Delta## more than once. Would this be the reason, that ##S## cannot contain duplicates? Seems to be a rather unremarkable reason, but if it gets job done...

Next, I am trying to prove that ##\sigma(\Delta)## contains either ##x_p - x_q## or ##x_q - x_p##, but not both. For simplicity, let ##g = \sigma^{-1}##. Suppose that ##\sigma (\Delta)## contains both factors. Then ##\sigma (\Delta) = (x_p - x_q)(x_q - x_p) \prod_{(i,j) \in S \setminus \{(p,q),(q,p)\}}##, and therefore

$$g (\sigma(\Delta)) = (x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)})(x_{g(q)} - x_{g(p)}) \prod (x_{g(i)} - x_{g(j)})$$

$$\Delta = - (x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)}) (x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)}) \prod (x_{g(i)} - x_{g(j)})$$,

showing that ##\Delta## contains ##(x_{g(p))} - x_{g(q)})## twice, contradicting what we showed above.

I know: it isn't great. For one thing, the RHS could be ##- \Delta##, so that is one flaw in the argument. I hope someone can help. For all DF's verbosity, it doesn't really clearly spell out the details very well, which is why I don't like DF very much, although it has massive number of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
why exactly can't Δ contains ##x_p - x_q## only once
I presume you mean, why not more than once.
It's because of the definition of the product. It is taken over the pairs (i,j) for which i<j. Therefore for a given pair of indices with i<j, the pair (i,j) occurs exactly once and the pair(j,i) does not occur at all.

For the same result after permuting the indices, it seems reasonably obvious to me, so I would be happy with the text as it stands. But if you feel it needs to be proved, your proof looks ok.

Related to Permutations and Transpositions

What are permutations and transpositions?

Permutations and transpositions are mathematical concepts used to rearrange the order of a set of objects or elements.

How do permutations and transpositions differ?

The main difference between permutations and transpositions is that permutations change the order of all elements in a set, while transpositions only swap the positions of two elements within the set.

What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for permutations is n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of elements and r is the number of elements being selected and rearranged. This formula is used when order matters and repetition is not allowed.

How do transpositions affect the number of possible outcomes?

Transpositions do not change the total number of possible outcomes, as they only swap the positions of two elements. However, they can change the specific arrangement and order of the elements within the outcomes.

How are permutations and transpositions used in real life?

Permutations and transpositions are used in various fields such as computer science, genetics, and cryptography. They can be used to create unique passwords, analyze DNA sequences, and generate random numbers for simulations and experiments.