Permutations and arranging order

In summary: Therefore, the probability is 2*11*10!/12!, which simplifies to 2*11!/12! or 2/12, which is equivalent to 1/6. In summary, the problem is asking for the probability of Dave and Beth standing next to each other in a line of 12 juniors. The correct calculation is 2*11!/12!, which simplifies to 1/6. This is because there are 2 ways for Dave and Beth to stand next to each other, but they can also be in any order within the line, which adds 11 more possibilities.
Pavel
Hi, I was answering what I thought was an easy problem and I got it wrong, but not sure why. Please give me an insight.

Problem: 12 juniors are ordered (in a line) for a drill. What's the probability (assuming all arrangments are random) of Dave standing next to Beth?

My reasoning: There are 12! possible arrangments of juniors. The number of arrangments where Dave is next to Beth is 2 (number of ways Beth can stand next to Dave, DB - BD) multiply by all possible arrangments for the remaning juniors, i.e. 10!. So, the probability is then 2x10! / 12!.

Well, that's wrong - 2 must be multiplied by 11!, not 10!, but I don't understand why - there are 10 juniors left to be ordered in any way to be combined with Beth and Dave. I realize that if I write it out on a paper, I'll count 11! of them. But I don't want to simply memorize the formula for this type of problem, I want understand the reasoning. Why 11! ?

Thanks,

Pavel.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to tell Beth where to stand before you place David next to her.

There are 10! ways for the others to line up, and thus 10! ways for Dave to be first, Beth second, and everyone else in some order behind them. If Dave and Beth can be in any order that is 2*10! ways. But Dave and Beth don't have to be together at the front of the line -- they could be anywhere. There are 2*10! ways there could be one person in front of the two (and 9 behind), 2*10! that there are two people in front of them, etc., for a total of 11 * (2 * 10!) ways, or 2 * 11! ways.

Edit: or what EnumaElish said.

OK, so you have 2 ways for Beth to stand next to Dave, BD and DB, and thus have 10! ways of arranging the remaining children. However, there are 11 ways of arranging the combination of Beth and Dave amongst the other children. So, there are 2*11*10! ways of arranging the children so that B and D are next to one another.

Related to Permutations and arranging order

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging or ordering a set of objects or numbers. In other words, it is a rearrangement of the elements in a particular order.

2. How many permutations can be made with a given set of objects or numbers?

The number of permutations that can be made with a given set depends on the number of elements in the set. For example, if there are 5 elements, there are 5! (5 factorial) permutations, which is equal to 120.

3. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation involves arranging objects or numbers in a specific order, while a combination does not take order into account. In other words, a permutation would be like choosing 3 people to sit in the first, second, and third seat, while a combination would be like choosing 3 people to sit at a table together.

4. How can permutations be used in real life?

Permutations can be used in many real-life situations, such as arranging a group of people in a line, choosing a password, and creating unique license plate numbers.

5. Are there any formulas or rules for finding permutations?

Yes, there are formulas and rules for finding permutations. One formula is n! (n factorial), where n represents the number of elements in the set. Additionally, the rule of multiplication can be used when dealing with multiple sets of objects or numbers. There are also specific formulas for finding permutations with restrictions, such as when certain objects must be placed in specific positions.