Arrangement of eight people around a square table (problem from Grimaldi's book)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Ralph Grimaldi's discrete math book where eight people are seated around a square table. The first part of the problem asks for the number of ways the people can be seated, which is calculated to be \(2(7!)\). The second part introduces a condition where two people, A and B, cannot sit next to each other. After considering different arrangements, the correct answer is determined to be \(7200\) by subtracting the cases where A and B are next to each other but on different sides of the square.
issacnewton
Hi

Here is the statement of the problem from Ralph Grimaldi's discrete math book.

a) In how many ways can eight people, denoted A,B,...,H be seated about the square table shown in the figure (see attachment), where Figs 1.6 (a) and 1.6 (b) are considered the same but are distinct from Fig 1.6 (c).

I got this correct. The answer is \( 2(7!) \).

b)If two of the eight people , say A and B ,do not get along well, how many different seatings are possible with A and B not sitting next to each other ?

Here I reasoned as follows. I first calculate the no of seatings where A and B actually sit together. So with two of them fixed, six others can be permuted in \( 6! \) different ways. But seating arrangement of A , B is different that the arrangement B , A . So to account for this second arrangement we will nee to add \( 6! \) possible arrangements. So total seating arrangements for two of them together is \( 2(6!) \). So to get the answer for this part, we will need to subtract \( 2(6!) \) from \( 2(7!) \). So answer I am getting is 8640. But the answer given for this part is 7200. So can you find mistake in my reasoning ?

Thanks
(Malthe)

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 50
Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

Here is the statement of the problem from Ralph Grimaldi's discrete math book.

a) In how many ways can eight people, denoted A,B,...,H be seated about the square table shown in the figure (see attachment), where Figs 1.6 (a) and 1.6 (b) are considered the same but are distinct from Fig 1.6 (c).

I got this correct. The answer is \( 2(7!) \).

b)If two of the eight people , say A and B ,do not get along well, how many different seatings are possible with A and B not sitting next to each other ?

Here I reasoned as follows. I first calculate the no of seatings where A and B actually sit together. So with two of them fixed, six others can be permuted in \( 6! \) different ways. But seating arrangement of A , B is different that the arrangement B , A . So to account for this second arrangement we will nee to add \( 6! \) possible arrangements. So total seating arrangements for two of them together is \( 2(6!) \). So to get the answer for this part, we will need to subtract \( 2(6!) \) from \( 2(7!) \). So answer I am getting is 8640. But the answer given for this part is 7200. So can you find mistake in my reasoning ?

Thanks
(Malthe)

Hi IssacNewton, :)

You haven't taken into account the cases where A and B are next to each other but on different sides of the square. Then you will have to reduce another \(2\times 6!\) from the total amount. That is,

\[\mbox{Total No. of Arrangements }=(2\times 7!)-(4\times 6!)\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Thanks Sudhakara

I thought about that but then I didn't consider it as they are not sitting next to each other on one of the four sides. So question is little ambiguous in that sense. But counting that together, as you suggested, I am getting the required answer...

(Malthe)

IssacNewton said:
Thanks Sudhakara

I thought about that but then I didn't consider it as they are not sitting next to each other on one of the four sides. So question is little ambiguous in that sense. But counting that together, as you suggested, I am getting the required answer...

(Malthe)

It's a pleasure to help you. :)

Hi Malthe,

Your reasoning is correct, but there is a small error in your calculation. When calculating the number of arrangements with A and B sitting together, you correctly multiplied 6! by 2 to account for the different seating arrangements of A and B. However, when subtracting this from the total arrangements, you only need to subtract 6!, not 2(6!). This is because you have already accounted for both arrangements of A and B sitting together in the 2(6!) calculation. So the correct answer would be 2(7!) - 6! = 7200, as given in the book.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Keep up the good work in your problem solving!
Best,

Related to Arrangement of eight people around a square table (problem from Grimaldi's book)

1. How many ways can eight people be arranged around a square table?

The number of ways eight people can be arranged around a square table is 8! (eight factorial) = 40,320.

2. Does the arrangement of the people matter on a square table?

Yes, the arrangement of the people does matter on a square table because each person has a specific seat and position relative to the others.

3. Can two people sit next to each other on a square table?

Yes, two people can sit next to each other on a square table, as long as there is an available seat.

4. Is there a difference between clockwise and counterclockwise arrangements on a square table?

Yes, there is a difference between clockwise and counterclockwise arrangements on a square table. For example, if person A is sitting next to person B in a clockwise arrangement, in a counterclockwise arrangement, person A would be sitting next to person H, who is across the table.

5. Can the arrangement of eight people on a square table be symmetrical?

No, the arrangement of eight people on a square table cannot be perfectly symmetrical because there is an odd number of people and a square table has an even number of sides. However, the arrangement can be mirrored or have certain patterns to create a sense of symmetry.