Permutation \psi in S_{10} of Order 20: Odd or Even?

In summary: Prove that the number of transpositions is the opposite of the parity of the length of the cycle.In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a permutation of order 20 in the group S_{10} is odd. This can be done by expressing the permutation as a product of transpositions, with the parity of the permutation determined by the number of transpositions. It is also mentioned that every permutation can be written as a product of disjoint cycles, with the order of the permutation being the least common multiple of the orders of the cycles. Finally, it is noted that the parity of a cycle is the opposite of its length.
ElDavidas
Here's another question I'm lost on:

"Show that the permutation [itex]\psi [/itex] contained in [itex]S_{10}[/itex] of order 20 is odd"

I know that the order of the permutation is the least positive integer n such that [itex]\psi^n [/itex] is the identity permutation.

I don't know how to check whether the permutation is odd. Even if I did, I still doubt I'd know what to do from there on using the information I've got.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ElDavidas said:
I don't know how to check whether the permutation is odd. Even if I did, I still doubt I'd know what to do from there on using the information I've got.

Thanks again.

every cycle (& therefore every permutation) can be expressed as a product of transpositions (2-cycles). if a permutation can be expressed as an even number of transpositions it's called even; otherwise it's called an odd permutation. in this problem, since the order of the permutation is 20 and every permutation can be expressed as a product of disjoint cycles, and the order of a cycle is its length, I'm guessing that 20 is the lcm of the orders of the cycles. if that's the case i think it's possible to figure out how many cycles & their possible lengths (won't be longer than 10) and then figure out how many transpositions are necessary to express the cycles as products of transpositions. i think that will work, but it seems long. it' smore typing than i usually do anyway. :-p

fourier jr said:
every cycle (& therefore every permutation) can be expressed as a product of transpositions (2-cycles).

I'm not quite sure how to do that for a permutation. It could just be my general ignorance. Suppose for example that a permutation is:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
2 4 6 8 10 1 3 5 7 9

How do you write this as a product of transpositions?

(Sorry about the bad notation, the permutation is meant to be in Cauchy form)

Last edited:
ElDavidas said:
I'm not quite sure how to do that for a permutation. It could just be my general ignorance. Suppose for example that a permutation is:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
2 4 6 8 10 1 3 5 7 9

How do you write this as a product of transpositions?

(Sorry about the bad notation, the permutation is meant to be in Cauchy form)

written as one cycle (rather than the 2-line notation) it looks like
(1 2 4 8 5 10 9 7 3 6)

& as transpositions
(1 2 4 8 5 10 9 7 3 6) = (1 6)(1 3)(1 7)(1 9)(1 10)(1 5)(1 8)(1 4)(1 2)

can you see the pattern? that isn't a unique way of doing it but it doesn't really matter. the important thing is that the parity (even/odd) of a permutation won't change no matter how you write it down.
edit: count the transpositions & see if you get an even or odd number

Last edited:
A better thing to note is that every permutation can be written as a product of disjoint cycles. Since the cycles are disjoint, they commute, and so if you express a permutation as a product of disjoint cycles, the order of that permutation is the least common multiple of the orders of the cycles. So you can see that a permutation of order 20 from S10 has only one possible cycle structure. Moreover, the parity of a cycle is the opposite of the parity of its length. In fact, so far this thread has been about decomposing a 10-cycle into a product of transpositions. If you can figure out the pattern, you can see that in general an n-cycle has a decomposition into a product of n-1 transpositions, and thus has the parity opposite to its length.

EDIT: I see Fourier jr already said this.

Last edited:
AKG said:
A better thing to note is that every permutation can be written as a product of disjoint cycles.

I understand this. So the above example would be written as
(1 2 4 8 5 10 9 7 3 6) and this commutes.

But (1 6)(1 3)(1 7)(1 9)(1 10)(1 5)(1 8)(1 4)(1 2) doesn't commute then.

AKG said:
Since the cycles are disjoint, they commute, and so if you express a permutation as a product of disjoint cycles, the order of that permutation is the least common multiple of the orders of the cycles.

I can follow this, although I'm not entirely sure why this is true.

AKG said:
So you can see that a permutation of order 20 from S10 has only one possible cycle structure

I can't follow this.

AKG said:
Moreover, the parity of a cycle is the opposite of the parity of its length.

Again, I think I can accept this.

Please bear with me on this one!

ElDavidas said:

this makes no sense. something can only commute with *something else*, or not. it doesn't make sense to ask if x commutes at all.

[quoteBut (1 6)(1 3)(1 7)(1 9)(1 10)(1 5)(1 8)(1 4)(1 2) doesn't commute then.[/quote[

ditto.

ElDavidas said:

But (1 6)(1 3)(1 7)(1 9)(1 10)(1 5)(1 8)(1 4)(1 2) doesn't commute then.
The point is that these transpositions don't commute with one another. The permutation of S5 (1 2)(3 4 5) is the exact same as (3 4 5)(1 2). However, you can decompose this into transpositions and get (1 2)(3 5)(3 4), but it's not the same as (1 2)(3 4)(3 5).
I can follow this, although I'm not entirely sure why this is true.
Figure it out.
I can't follow this.
It's very easy to prove, but it's not obvious. You'll have to do a little thinking on your own, but really not that much. Just figure it out yourself, it's easy.
Again, I think I can accept this.
Don't just accept it, prove it. It's easy since this thread has already explained to you how to decompose a cycle into a product of transpositions.

Related to Permutation \psi in S_{10} of Order 20: Odd or Even?

1. What is "Permutation \psi in S_{10} of Order 20"?

Permutation \psi in S_{10} of Order 20 refers to a specific type of mathematical operation where the elements of a set are rearranged in a particular order. The notation S_{10} represents the symmetric group of 10 elements, and the order 20 indicates that the permutation involves 20 elements.

2. What does it mean for a permutation to be "odd" or "even"?

In mathematics, a permutation is said to be "odd" or "even" depending on the number of times it takes to swap two elements to return to its original order. An even permutation requires an even number of swaps, while an odd permutation requires an odd number of swaps.

3. How can we determine if a permutation in S_{10} of Order 20 is odd or even?

To determine the parity (odd or even) of a permutation in S_{10} of Order 20, we can use the concept of a "cycle". A cycle is a sequence of elements that are moved by the permutation. If the number of cycles is even, the permutation is even, and if the number of cycles is odd, the permutation is odd.

4. Can a permutation in S_{10} of Order 20 be both odd and even?

No, a permutation in S_{10} of Order 20 can only be either odd or even. This is because the number of cycles in a permutation can only be either odd or even, and the parity of a permutation is determined by the number of cycles.

5. Why is the parity of a permutation important?

The parity of a permutation is an important concept in mathematics, particularly in the fields of group theory and combinatorics. It helps us understand the properties and behavior of permutations and is useful in solving problems related to arrangements and combinations of elements in a set.