Permeation of water vapor through seals: vacuum vs dry gas

In summary, the permeation of gasses through polymer seals is dependent on the partial pressure of the gas, not its positive or negative pressure. This is because water molecules primarily scatter through the polymer matrix within the seals, and only at the inner surface do the gas vs vacuum question come into play. Water vapor inside the chamber will not affect this process, as equilibrium will be reached where the same amount of water diffuses out as in. This is based on the understanding of the processes and may not be entirely accurate.
DragonFire
From reading about the permeation of gasses through polymer seals, I am led to believe that given two identical sealed chambers, one containing a vacuum and the other pressurized perfectly dry nitrogen, water vapor would permeate through the seals and into the chambers at the same rate. This would occur because permeation rates depend only on the partial pressure of the gas in question.

Is my understanding of the phenomena correct? Intuitively, I would have thought that the positive pressure of the second chamber would lead to a slower ingress of water vapor than the negative pressure of a vacuum.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not read up on the subject but your intuition presupposes that the water molecules colliding with the gas molecules is a major factor. Within the seals the water molecules are principally scattering through the polymer matrix. The gas vs vacuum question only comes into play at the inner surface of the seal and there I imagine the water is very much less likely to be scattered back into the polymer rather than out into the chamber. Indeed water vapor inside will not affect this either except that equilibrium will arise where as much diffuses out as in.

Disclaimer: I am guessing here based on my understanding of the processes and may be totally wrong.

Related to Permeation of water vapor through seals: vacuum vs dry gas

1. What is the difference between vacuum and dry gas in terms of permeation of water vapor through seals?

Vacuum refers to a space where the pressure is significantly lower than the surrounding atmosphere, while dry gas refers to a gas that contains very little water vapor. In terms of permeation, vacuum creates a more favorable environment for water vapor to pass through seals compared to dry gas.

2. Why is the permeation of water vapor through seals important to consider?

Permeation of water vapor through seals can lead to a decrease in the effectiveness of the seal, as well as potential damage to the surrounding equipment. It is important to understand and control the permeation process to ensure the proper functioning of seals in various applications.

3. How does the presence of moisture affect the permeation of water vapor through seals?

Moisture can significantly increase the rate of water vapor permeation through seals. This is because moisture molecules have a smaller size and can easily pass through small gaps or defects in the seal. The presence of moisture can also lead to the formation of condensation, which can further damage the seal.

4. What factors can affect the permeation of water vapor through seals?

The permeation of water vapor through seals can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, seal material, and the type of gas present. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the rate of permeation, while certain seal materials may be more resistant to water vapor than others.

5. How can the permeation of water vapor through seals be controlled?

There are several ways to control the permeation of water vapor through seals, including using barrier materials with low permeability, maintaining a dry environment, and using vacuum technology. Proper seal design and regular maintenance can also help to minimize water vapor permeation.