Period of revolution of two double stars

In summary, the problem involves two double stars with the same mass as the sun, rotating around their common center of mass with a separation of 4 light years. The question asks for the period of revolution for these stars. The student attempted to solve the problem using the orbital equation, but was off by a power of 10. They also tried using F = m\omega^{2}r = Gm_{1}m_{2}/r and solving for the period using \omega = 2\pi r/T, but were unsure where they went wrong. The question also raised the possibility of the reduced mass being m, as the two double stars could possibly be four separate stars acting in pairs. The student then corrected a mistake
leftnes

Homework Statement

Two double stars of the same mass as the sun rotate about their common center of mass. Their separation is 4 light years. What is their period of revolution?

Homework Equations

Lagranian = T - U = [itex]\mu\dot{r}^{2}/2[/itex] + [itex]\vec{L}^{2}/2\mu r^{2}[/itex] - [itex]Gm_{1}m_{2}/r[/itex]
F = ma = m[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]r = [itex]Gm_{1}m_{2}/r[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to solve this using the orbital equation , but I'm off by a power of 10. I've also tried using F = m[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]r = [itex]Gm_{1}m_{2}/r[/itex] and solving for the period using [itex]\omega[/itex] = [itex]2\pi r/T[/itex] but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Since the question asks for the period of two double stars, does this mean that the reduced mass is [itex]\mu[/itex] = [itex](2m_{1})(2m_{2})/(2m_{1} + 2m_{2})[/itex] = [itex]4m^{2}/4m[/itex] = m since all the masses are the same? I'm assuming that two double stars means 4 separate stars acting in pairs. I'm not really sure where to go with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
leftnes said:
F = m[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]r = [itex]Gm_{1}m_{2}/r[/itex]
Aren't there a couple of things wrong with the RHS? It's dimensionally wrong for a force, no? And is r standing for the same distance each side?

Oops, yeah.

F = m[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex]r = [itex]Gm_{1}m_{2}/r^{2}[/itex]

I believe? Since [itex]\omega^{2}[/itex] = [itex]a/r[/itex], I substituted for acceleration and set the only acting force on the stars as their gravitational attraction towards each other. Am I missing something else?

And assuming a circular orbit, r = .5d, where d is the separation between the stars.

leftnes said:
And assuming a circular orbit, r = .5d, where d is the separation between the stars.

If the separation is d, what force does each experience?

Related to Period of revolution of two double stars

1. What is the period of revolution of two double stars?

The period of revolution of two double stars refers to the time it takes for both stars to complete one full orbit around their center of mass. This is influenced by the distance between the two stars, their masses, and the gravitational force between them.

2. How is the period of revolution calculated?

The period of revolution can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion, which states that the square of the period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. By measuring the semi-major axis and the orbital velocity of the stars, the period of revolution can be determined.

3. Can the period of revolution change over time?

Yes, the period of revolution can change over time due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other nearby stars or planets, or if one of the stars undergoes a significant change in mass. This can result in a change in the orbital parameters and thus, the period of revolution.

4. How does the period of revolution affect the brightness of double stars?

The period of revolution does not directly affect the brightness of double stars. However, if the stars have a close orbit and a short period of revolution, they may appear to vary in brightness due to eclipses or other phenomena caused by their close proximity to each other.

5. What can the study of the period of revolution of double stars tell us?

Studying the period of revolution of double stars can provide valuable information about the physical properties of the stars, such as their masses and distances from each other. It can also help us understand the dynamics of stellar systems and the formation and evolution of double stars.