Period of a Simple Pendulum with Varying Masses and Gravitational Forces

In summary, the formula for the period of a simple pendulum can be expressed as T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}, with g being the acceleration due to gravity. By replacing g with \frac{GM_{g} {m_{g}}}{R^{2}m_{i}}, where G is the gravitational constant, M_{g} is the mass of the Earth, and R is its radius, an alternative expression for T can be derived in terms of the inertial and gravitational masses of the pendulum bob.
rbwang1225

Homework Statement

The usual formula for the period T of a simple pendulum of length l is T=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/itex] where g is the acceleration due to gravity. Denoting rhe inertial mass of the pendulum bob by m[itex]_{i}[/itex] and its gravitational mass by m[itex]_{g}[/itex], derive an alternative expression for T in terms of these masses, the radius R of the Earth and its mass M[itex]_{g}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just replaced g as [itex]\frac{GM_{g} {m_{g}}}{R^{2}m_{i}}[/itex].
I don't know if this is what the author wants.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct to me.

Related to Period of a Simple Pendulum with Varying Masses and Gravitational Forces

What is the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is the amount of time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from one side to the other and back again.

What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the length of the pendulum affect its period?

The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer the period will be. This is because the longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel, which takes more time.

How does the mass of the pendulum bob affect its period?

The mass of the pendulum bob does not affect the period of a simple pendulum. The period is only affected by the length and acceleration due to gravity.

How can the period of a simple pendulum be calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.